Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 15, 2017

Companion 2 Series II Power Supply

I found a pair of these at the local Goodwill, with interconnecting cable, in great condition for $3! No power supply. Is this 12V AC or DC?

In googling I don't get a definitive answer, and I have two different product guides from Bose for this model that display different symbols (both AC and DC). Was there a spec change sometime during the model run?

Help!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Companion 2 Series II Power Supply

Hi SMorrison, 

It is a DC supply that uses an AC clip to connect to your wall outlet. Here are the specs from the two power supplies that we made for the Companion 2 series II:

Power Supply - F12V-1.35C - without AC Clip 
Input: 100-240v, 50/60Hz - Output: 12VDC, 1.35A

Power Supply - S024EM1200180 - without rectangular AC Clip 
 Input: 100-240v, 50/60Hz - Output: 12vDC, 1.8A 

If you need you order one you can go to the site HERE, select your region, click on "Support" in the upper right, then scroll down to "Contact Us", and give them a call. 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 17, 2017

the question he is asking,i believe, is this:,,,on back of the speaker,it says power supply should be 12volts AC 1.2 amps...and basically,the only power supplys i can find are - input 100-120vac, output,12 VOLTS dc. 1.2AMP... SO,  WILL THESE SPEAKERS WORK  WITH  A 12 VOLT DC 1.2 AMP POWER SUPPLY?  please,oh please answer this ,because i do not want to risk blowing  a pair of BOSE SPEAKERS due to wrong power supply.as ,IMO, BOSE ARE THE MAC DADDY OF SPEAKERS...  THANK YOU.

P.SA PROMPT ANSWER WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi donald brown,

Thanks for the question.  As long as the voltage is the same and the amperage is close it should be fine, however we always recommend using original Bose power supplies with our systems.  

If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Best Regards,

Brandon

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 19, 2017

Brandon,

I have the same problem and question that Donald Brown has. I and he need to get the correct power adapter for a Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker set.

Unfortunately, I think you may have misunderstood him. He and I are NOT asking about the Voltage (120 volts in, 12 volts out) of the power adapter, nor its amperage (approx. 1.0-1.2 A or 1000 to 1200 mA). We are asking about POLARITY & TYPE OF CURRENT. Here is the exact problem again:

The back of the speaker very clearly states (and the label is part of the mold, indented into the plastic housing) that it requires:

12 V AC 1.2 A.

That means AC power into the speakers (output of the adapter). When we look at the specs of the available Bose power adapters (power supplies) they say the output is DC and do not specify polarity. Polarity specifications can be stated in various ways or shown by various diagrams but all mean the same thing. In a DC power supply, the negative (-) wire will connect to either the inner (center) part of the plug (usually, and that is also called Negative Polarity) or sometimes to the outer sleeve (and that is called Positive Polarity). 

The big discrpancy is that the speakers say they require AC power and the website and support personnel by phone claim it requires DC power. Using the wrong one will likely damage the speakers ("blow" them). 

Is the instruction on the speaker housing a mistake? And if the speakers require 12 V DC power, should the plug be Negative Polarity (inner part of the plug is negative) or Positive Polarity?

Really someone should look at the product and clarify this.

Thanks

Norman

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi sillean,

Thank you for your followup. You called out a great point. I can confirm that the label on the back of the speaker incorrectly indicates the power connection as "12 V AC" only. The owners guide correctly indicates input power as either 12 V DC or AC. 

Here is a snip from the owner's manual. The full manual can be viewed HERE

As for the polarity: POSITIVE. Here is a screenshot of the label found on the Companion II power supply:

I hope this helps to provide clarification. Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 19, 2017

Brian,

OK! and thank you.

What we now know is this:

Speakers accept AC or DC power 12 Volts

Coaxial power plug from the adapter must have POSITIVE polarity.

You mentioned something I don't see: "The owners guide correctly indicates input power as either 12 V DC or AC."

The only indication I see in the manual is the symbol (straight line above a wavy line) shown under "Speaker Inputs",

Input power: 12 V ~ 1.2 A (I can't reproduce the actual symbol here.

Curiously, the straight line ABOVE A WAVY LINE means AC power and is shown in your note below:

"Here is a snip from the owner's manual."

However, the straight line ABOVE A DASHED LINE means DC power and is shwon in the manual that is linked in you message thus:

"The full manual can be viewed HERE." 

The two versions of the manual you reference contradict each other and neither says (at least I can't find it) that EITHER AC or DC is OK.

The screenshot of the label of the power supply does show 12 VDC, positive polarity, so I assume that is the safer bet. It would be interesting to know if one of the Bose engineers actually agrees that AC or DC power is OK. It's probably a simple matter of including a diode rectifier array in the circuitry of the speaker to allow it to accept either, so that may be the case. I just wish the speaker had been labeled correctly at the start with something such as: "Power Input: 12V AC or DC (+ Polarity), Min. 1.0 A, Max. 1.8 A (Accepts AC or DC power supply)" or the appropriate international symbols.

Thanks

Norm

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Norm,

Thanks for your response. My guess is that the intention was to use the "universal" symbol:

Image source

Also, after reviewing the link I posted with the owner's manual; you are correct. The linked version is the newest release of the owner's manual, which indicates DC. The screenshot I shared earlier was from the original (found internally). And yes, we now recommend using the 12V DC power supply (positive polarity), which is what we have available as a replacement part. 

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support