blaupabb
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

Companion 2 and DirecTV digital audio out

Hello Bose Community, 

I would like to buy some Companion 2 but have a compatibility question. Do they work with digital audio out? We recently updated our DirecTV receivers and the HR54-500 only had optical and coax audio out. There are coax/optical to mini-jack conversion cables on Amazon but they warn against analog compatibility. Would these work with this conversion cable?

Thanks in advance,

BlauP 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Companion 2 and DirecTV digital audio out

Author Accepted Answer selected by blaupabb

Hi blaupabb, 

Great question. The input on the Companion 2 series III is indeed an analog connection. If you want to get audio out from an optical or digital coax connection you will need a converter that converts the digital audio feed to analog. We don't recommend one brand over another but a device similar to the one HERE would work. You would connect either the optical or digital coax to the input section and then need an analog RCA to 3.5mm cable to go from the output to the speakers. I hope this helps.

Thank you 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by blaupabb

Hi blaupabb, 

Great question. The input on the Companion 2 series III is indeed an analog connection. If you want to get audio out from an optical or digital coax connection you will need a converter that converts the digital audio feed to analog. We don't recommend one brand over another but a device similar to the one HERE would work. You would connect either the optical or digital coax to the input section and then need an analog RCA to 3.5mm cable to go from the output to the speakers. I hope this helps.

Thank you 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
blaupabb
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jun 14, 2017

Thanks Brent. I ended up using the headphone out from the TV as the input to the Companion 2. Worked fine.