Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 17, 2017

Companion 20 speaker volume control is failing

We love the sound of your speakers but the volume control puck is failing. Its response to our touch is either nothing at all or far too much. Sometimes the volume changes if we just wave out hand near it.  It is becoming so wonky that I am starting to use the volume control in the operating system instead.  It started out as a minor, occasional problem and steadily grew worse over maybe 3-4 months. Am currently runnings OS X 10.1.1 but it was true on earlier version as well.

What can I do to fix it?  Clean something?

Thanks

Mary

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Companion 20 speaker volume control is failing

Hi mbb04915,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing with the Control pod. We'd certainly like to help! Here are a few things to try:

1. Reseat the control pod connector to the speaker
  2. Check the condition of the control pod cable. Check if any of the pins are broken or bent.
  3. Be sure the computer is connected properly. A connection may have come loose or may be incorrect. 
  4. Perform a product reset:
    • Turn off the device connected to the system
    • Unplug the power cord of the system from the power outlet. Wait 30 seconds
    • Reconnect the power cord
    • Retest the system
  5. If none of the above steps resolve the issue, I'd recommend reaching out to your local Bose Technical Support Team to determine a resolution. Your local contact information can be found HERE

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jan 2, 2018

I have the exact same issue as mbb04915. When playing music and not even touching the volume knob the volume fluctuates. When adjusting the volume with the knob the volume fluctuates erratically. I have swapped in a working control knob from another companion 20 and the problem goes away.

Jonathan

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Jonathan, 

Thank you for the post and sharing what has resolved this for you. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards

Brent - Bose Support