w2w2k2k2
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 22, 2018

Companion 5 speakers does not work with USB hub

I'm using macbook pro (one 2017 with 10.13 High Sierra and one 2018 with 10.14 Mojave).

I connected companion 5 usb to a usb 3 hub without problem. Recently because of lacking of usb/thunderbolt ports, I've got a thunderbolt adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078MQST45), hence connecting the original usb 3 hub onto the adapter, and the adapter onto mac. All the other devices (wireless mouse/keyboard, remote hard drive, card reader, etc) work well. But companion starts to have problem. It blocks any video from playing.

If I switch the sound output back to mac internal speaker, the problem immediately gone.

Seems bose does not like complicated usb topology. Possible to have some work around or firmware fix? Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Companion 5 speakers does not work with USB hub

Hi w2w2k2k2

Thanks for posting in the Community!

This is an interesting situation as the speakers require more information to be passed through the USB cable compared to other devices like a keyboard or mouse.  Our computer speakers haven't had any updates.  I would recommend finding a standalone USB hub with enough ports to connect all your peripherals.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support