Companion 5 speakers not working with some programs since Windows 10 update last month (Feb. 2019)

Quiet Contributor

Companion 5 speakers not working with some programs since Windows 10 update last month (Feb. 2019)

Music isn't a problem, but I get no sound through the speakers for Microsoft Flight Simulator X. It was working fine until the Windows 10 Update around Feb 21. I have tried unplugging the power and USB , restarting the PC and plugging back in, but nothing has worked. I would have tried a new driver, but can't find my CD, and can't find the driver on your website. Oh, the troubleshooter doesn't help, either.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Companion 5 speakers not working with some programs since Windows 10 update last month (Feb. ...

Hi, 

Many Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. As the speakers produce audio when you play music through Windows 10 and no audio comes through when you play Microsoft Flight Simulator X, may i ask if you have tried a different speaker or headset whilst playing the simulator to see if this issue occurs? If the audio does not play when you use a headset for example, this could mean that there is an issue with the simulator audio. 

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support.

Quiet Contributor

Re: Companion 5 speakers not working with some programs since Windows 10 update last month (Feb. ...

I have a headset that works with the sim.

Thanks for confirming this for me.

Does the sound stop immediately after you load the simulator? Also have you checked the Simulator audio setting to see if anything has changed which could have caused this issue?

If the above does not appear to resolve the issue, the Companion 5 speakers deliver audio through the USB connection which could be a driver issue. If this is the case, I would advise to try and update the drivers for your speakers to see if this helps at all.

To update the drivers, go to device manager, right click the audio device and select update.

Please let us know if this helps at all.

Many thanks

Leon_C

Quiet Contributor

Nothing has changed in the sim, and my computer says I have the latest driver installed. 

Highlighted

Hi, 

Thanks for checking this for me.

When you run the simulator, when you Alt-Tab out of the program, does the speakers show up as an active device at all?

Many thanks

Leon_C

Quiet Contributor

Yes, they're active, but they don't work.

Hi, 

Thank you for checking this for me.

As it appears to be an issue only with the simulator and other audio sources appear to work fine, there appears to be a driver/software issue with regards to Windows. As you mentioned earlier this issue did not occur until the latest Windows 10 update.

I would recommend contacting Microsoft to see if they can provide any input to this issue at all.

Many thanks

Leon_C