Highlighted
garywood84
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Companion 50 white noise/hissing

I received a set of Companion 50s last week, directly from Bose. The satellites hiss quite loudly, even when no source is playing, and with the voume turned right down. The noise persists even if I disconnect the audio source, so it's inherent within the speakers. Bose support told me this isn't normal, and replaced the whole set, but the replacement is the same. Very frustrating, because the speakers sound great otherwise! 

Can anyone confirm if their Bose Companion 50s hiss noticeably when not playing music, and if there's anything I can do other than return them for a refund?

7 REPLIES 7
gamingon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

Re: Companion 50 white noise/hissing

Hi gary, sorry to hear you are facing this problem. Although I didn't have this speaker set, but I had BOSE Companion 3 Series ii speaker system, and sometimes I used to experience similar issue with them, in case there isn't anything wrong with the speaker system, the source of the problem is most likely an electrical interference or grounding/earthing issue. When this would happen to me I would move the speaker cables away from other cables and it would go away. So try moving the speaker's power cables and audio cables away from other electrical wires and system and see.

garywood84
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Thanks @gamingon

I have tried separating the cables, using different circuits, and even using the European 2-pin plug to eliminate earth wiring, but none of these changes has solved the problem. Both sets of speakers I have tried have exhibited the same problem. I sent a recording of the issue to Bose support today, and one of their advisers thinks there might be an issue with the speaker batch. He's going to arrange for the speakers to be inspected by a senior engineer. Fingers crossed that fixes the problem...

gamingon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

Another thing I forgot to mention is, I would face similar issue sometimes if the audio input cable isn't fully inserted into the acoustimass module or at the computer, or control pod. It maybe worth it to check this too, sorry if this sounds too contemptous.

garywood84
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Thank you, @gamingon. I’m really keen to resolve this issue so that I can keep the speakers, so I appreciate all suggestions!

Unfortunately, though, it’s not the input source that’s causing this issue. Even if I disconnect the speakers, so there’s no source — just the Acoustimass module, powered up with the two satellites connected — I still get the hissing through the satellites.

gamingon
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 30, 2018

Hi gary. Thank you for considering my suggestions.

2-pin plugs don't have an earthing pin, it's only the three pin ones which have it. Do you experience any shock when you touch the control pod's 3.5mm input or output? If not, the earthing/grounding issue might not be with Companion 50 speaker system.

After you moved the speaker cables away from other wires and electrical equipment, you can try disconnecting the power to the Companion 50 speaker system for a short while and reconnect it and turn it on see and if the problem goes away.

All these suggestions are based on how I troubleshooted similar issue with my Companion 3 Series ii but if the customer support feels that there is some faulty with the batch of Companion 50 speaker you received from, it may mostly likely be true.

garywood84
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 28, 2018

Thank you, @gamingon. I've heard back from Bose support today, and they think the speakers must be faulty. They are collecting them for review by a senior engineer. Fingers crossed that they will be able to resolve the issue...

4FR
Silent Starter
Registered since

Nov 10, 2018

I am having the exact same "hissing" / white noise problems. The problem seems to be the mediocre cable that connects the Subwoofer/System with the outlet. I tried changing this one with an high end one and the hissing is almost gone.