Highlighted
adityasatalkar
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Connecting Bose Acoustimass 5 to AV receiver just using the L R channels

Onkyo TX-NR676 back.jpgHi I just received my 2nd Bose Acoustimass 5. The previous one is connected to Bose SA-5 and works great! So I got the second one to connect to my TV via Onkyo's AV Receiver TX-NR676. All the receivers I looked for have a separate subwoofer connecter on the back, and so does this receiver TX-NR676. Unfortunately AM5 doesn't have a separate connection for a subwoofer and hence its hampering the audio quality. Can someone at Bose suggest me how to connect the AM5 to the AVR so that it doesn't hamper its subwoofer capabilities just using the L R connections?

5 REPLIES 5
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Connecting Bose Acoustimass 5 to AV receiver just using the L R channels

I did exactly what you are doing except I had a Bose Acoustimass 5 and Bose Acoustimass 7 and connected both to my Onkyo receiver for 5 speaker surround sound.  The cubes carry the high frequency and the Acoustimass modules carry the mid frequencies.  You need a "real" subwoofer to connect to the Onkyo subwoofer jack.  I used a Klipsch that would rattle the windows.

Community Manager

Hi adityasatalkar,

Thanks for writing in!

I agree here with @Xyz987.  in this case, this Acoustimass module is not a powered subwoofer and will not utilize the sub out connection.  The front left and right outputs on the receiver will connect to the inputs of the Acoustimass module and then to the speakers from there.  One more thing to note is to make sure that the speaker size is set to large for these connections to make sure you get full spectrum audio.  Also, if you feel you're still not getting the full performance, you may want to consider a third party powered sub to utilize the sub out connection.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

adityasatalkar
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Thanks @Tony_A for getting back to me on this. I agree that since its not a powered sub it wouldnt be able to connect to the sub out connection, but I know how capable the Bose AM5 system is and it was sad to see that it wouldn't reach its full potential. So I have another question then, are the internals of the SA-3 amplifier similar to that of the newer Bose SA-5 irresepctive of the new features like wireless connectivity and additional ports ? As in would the sound output be similar when comparing SA-5 vs SA-3 ? If so I'll just connect these AM5s' to the Bose amplifier.

Community Manager

Hi adityasatalkar,

The SA-3 amplifier was designed as an expansion product to play music off of our older Lifestyle systems.  In this application, you would not be able to use this type of amplifier.  

Have you gone through the different sound modes on the receiver as well as adjust the EQ and speaker size?  When it comes to connecting speakers to third party receivers, it does take quite a bit of tweaking to achieve the desired sound sometimes.  In most cases, these receivers also come with a calibration system that should help as well.

Warm Regards,

Tony A

adityasatalkar
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 4, 2019

Oh okay, I thought that SA-3 could be used as an independent amplifier just like SA-5. Yes I've been through different sound modes but that did not help either, and the calibration systems on the receivers did not help. The calibration technique involved a mic which came with the receiver and I did connect to that and try calibrating it, but everytime the receiver would not detect the subwoofer, and only detect L & R channels. I did try connecting the AM5s' to a dennon receiver too, and that was the same. So my thoughts are that may be AM5 only works best with a Bose amplifier, and hence my question about SA-3 or SA-5