Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonbeeching
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Connecting SKYQ to Lifestyle AV48 via VS2 and TV optically to AV48... HELP

Can anyone help me?

My original set up was a Sky Q box optically connected to a Bose AV48 and the HDMI going from SkyQ to the SAT video input on the VS2 connection of the Bose system, this was connected to the TV via another HDMI from the VS2 video output to the TV HDMI.

This seemed to do ok with surround etc.

I've just purchased a new Sony TV with Netflix and Prime Video etc and I'm trying to connect this to the Bose to get surround as well through the TV based apps.

So, I've connected the optical output from the TV to the Bose Lifestyle48 as I'd heard that HDMI carries audio as well.

By doing this I was hoping it would work but it seems I can only get stereo on both options?

Is it possible to have an optical splitter so I can connect both the SkyQ box and the TV optical out to the single port on the Lifestyle?

There's no direct HDMI input on the back of the lifestyle system only on the VS2 box.

Hoping there's someone out there trying to do similar or has succeeded in solving the problem.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: Connecting SKYQ to Lifestyle AV48 via VS2 and TV optically to AV48... HELP

@Jonbeeching wrote:

Can anyone help me?

My original set up was a Sky Q box optically connected to a Bose AV48 and the HDMI going from SkyQ to the SAT video input on the VS2 connection of the Bose system, this was connected to the TV via another HDMI from the VS2 video output to the TV HDMI.

This seemed to do ok with surround etc. (..)

Is it possible to have an optical splitter so I can connect both the SkyQ box and the TV optical out to the single port on the Lifestyle?

There's no direct HDMI input on the back of the lifestyle system only on the VS2 box.

Hoping there's someone out there trying to do similar or has succeeded in solving the problem.

Thanks.

Hi, an optical splitter might work as long as you can select the source to ensure you are listing to the correct device. I might actually suggest that you look over this post as I go over all of your options. I think Options 3 or 4 would work best for you.

@Jonbeeching wrote:

I've just purchased a new Sony TV with Netflix and Prime Video etc and I'm trying to connect this to the Bose to get surround as well through the TV based apps.

So, I've connected the optical output from the TV to the Bose Lifestyle48 as I'd heard that HDMI carries audio as well.

By doing this I was hoping it would work but it seems I can only get stereo on both options?

I also mention in that post that some TV's will only ever output stereo (some are lucky and theirs can output 5.1 via ARC. Be aware that sometimes internal TV sources like apps do output 5.1). It appears that is the case with your TV. If your TV supports eARC you might wish to try and see if you can find an HDMI switch that also supports eARC and has an optical out.

"As great as ARC can be, there is one big issue: 5.1. Technically, TVs aren't allowed to send 5.1 audio over HDMI. In other words, if you're watching a movie on Blu-ray with 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS and it's connected directly to your TV (Setup 1, above) your receiver might only be able to get 2.0 audio. TVs that can do this are said to have "5.1 passthrough."

This restriction isn't fully enforced, so some TVs do it anyway. Other TVs will output 5.1 via the optical output, but not ARC."

I hope that this answer helps solve your problem 🙂

Jonbeeching
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Hi and many thanks for your reply and insights. 

The information you've given me is gold dust. Thankyou. I'll let you know how I get on after digesting all of the info.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Jonbeeching wrote:

Hi and many thanks for your reply and insights. 

The information you've given me is gold dust. Thankyou. I'll let you know how I get on after digesting all of the info.

High praise, so thanks 😀

I put a lot of work into those and a few other pages I've linked to. I read through quite a few websites and manuals to get that information and to put it into one place. I'm surprised that Bose hasn't already done this themselves 🤷‍♂️

Well if I do end up solving your issue then please do come back and let us know what you ended up doing. I personally would love to know. Also, don't forget to mark the answer in this thread that solved your problem as the solution, when you believe it has been solved 🙂