rokcod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Connecting bose 901 speakers to preamps, eq, and marantz amp

Hello all. I'm new here and need some help in connecting everything together. My late father in law left me his Bose setup when he passed away. Unfortunately his wife disconnected everything before I had the chance to as I was planning to map out how it was configured.
So I now have the following bits and I'm not sure how it all goes together.

Bose 901 speakers on stands
Marantz K.I pearl lite amp
Bose VI active equalizer
And 2 what I guess are preamps - these are black metal boxes with blue fins on the rear. They have a power lead input, a single Phono lead, a red and a black terminal to fit a stripped cable to and a green push in button on the front that looks as if it will light up when pushed in. I can provide a photo if that helps.

I would appreciate any help here as I've been hanging out to get this set up but the preamps are stumping me and I don't want to trial and error it resulting in ruining things. Thanks in anticipation!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Connecting bose 901 speakers to preamps, eq, and marantz amp

Author Accepted Answer selected by rokcod

Hi rockod,

Thanks for the photos.  Those look like power amplifiers to me.  I'll explain the signal path and how everything should be connected.

1. You will need to run RCA cables from the left and right pre-amp output on the back of the Marantz to the Bose EQ where it says "Amplifier Connections IN"
  2. You will then connect the two power amplifiers to the Amplifier Connections OUT on the back of the Bose EQ
  3. Connect the 901 speakers to the positive and negative terminals on the power amplifiers, double check all connections, then plug power into everything.

Does this make sense?  Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions, and let us know if it works!

Best,

Brandon

6 REPLIES 6

Hi rokcod,

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the community! I've moved it over to the stereo speakers forum so it will get a bit more visibility.

Wow, that is an amazing setup.  There are several different ways to connect everything together and get a functioning sound system, but I'd like to figure out what those black metal boxes are before we draw up a diagram.  Do those boxes have any model numbers or brand names on them?  As well, can you post pictures?

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

rokcod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Hi Brandon

Thanks for your reply and steering my post in the right direction.
Below are front and rear pics of the units. I think I remember him saying they are pre amps.

I await your reply

Thanks
rokcod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

IMG_1631.JPGPower input and on/off buttonIMG_1632.JPGSingle phone & screw terminals

Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by rokcod

Hi rockod,

Thanks for the photos.  Those look like power amplifiers to me.  I'll explain the signal path and how everything should be connected.

1. You will need to run RCA cables from the left and right pre-amp output on the back of the Marantz to the Bose EQ where it says "Amplifier Connections IN"
  2. You will then connect the two power amplifiers to the Amplifier Connections OUT on the back of the Bose EQ
  3. Connect the 901 speakers to the positive and negative terminals on the power amplifiers, double check all connections, then plug power into everything.

Does this make sense?  Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions, and let us know if it works!

Best,

Brandon

rokcod
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Brandon, you're a legend.

Your advice was 100% right. Followed the instructions step by step, switched it on and boom, I was away.

Thanks so very much. I've been waiting for ages to get hooked up. I was just puzzled but putting it all together it just made sense.

Again thank you and to this fabulous forum...

Awesome.  Glad to hear that's it's working for you 🙂

Enjoy!

-Brandon