Highlighted
GaryJRS
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2017

Continuous/Simultaneous CD Skipping on BOTH the Wave Radio & Multi-Disc CD Players

Hello Bose HQ Technical Support.............

I currently own 4 Bose Wave Radios, several with Multi-Disc (3 CD) player accessories.

Recently, one of my "sets" ] .... which previously operated/played successfully, has now developed simultaneous/continuous CD skipping condition(s)  (ie. occurring on ALL disc slots, on BOTH the Wave Radio & Multi-Disc units) ;

The Bose Factory (1-800-608-2673) Support/Repair department was contacted. But they were apparently unable to determine/diagnosed this condition from their available resources;  So I was requested to "Pay in Advance” for servicing; and then package & ship the units to a U.S. second location, for an estimated 3-5 week repair cycle.  

As there was NO specific request/attempt made by Product Support: either (1) to reset/reload the required Multi-Disc Software upgrade or (2) test just the base Wave Radio's single CD player.  I declined taking any immediate repair action(s) ....... and are therefore making the following response/request from the Bose [Framingham] Factory/HQ's Technical Support Team................. 

(1) Could you please attempt to identify/diagnose this problem (as software, hardware, ??) from your experience/database perspectives;   and if possible, respond back to me as to this “skipping” failure's detail specifics ???   [PS: I am a retired R&D professional at IBM Watson Labs].  

(2) I believe that I have both "generations" of the Bose Update CD disk available, but are uncertain as to which one applies to this specific type/model/serial# configuration; so could you please specify which Disc to use for this "set."  [PED_BP_FW_01.04.00_discupdate.bin & PED_BP_FW_02.01.01_discupdate.bin ]

(3) Finally, a recommendation as to what are the non-U.S. replacement/repair alternative options available for correcting this condition, as the mail-in-for repair will be both expensive & difficult, due to the fact that these Bose Wave Radio elements are currently located in Bermuda.

"Thanks" in advance, for taking the time to address these somewhat "unusual" Bose Customer issues/concerns.

Regards .......... Gary

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Continuous/Simultaneous CD Skipping on BOTH the Wave Radio & Multi-Disc CD Players

Hello Gary. We've edited your post to remove some personal information of yours from the forum. 

With CD skipping on these systems, the best troubleshooting step is a reset of the system by unplugging the system for 60 seconds or longer. When you plug it back in, you'll notice some mechanical noises as the mechanisms retrack themselves on the top and bottom units. We apologize if this was not suggested by our representatives on the phone. 

Outside of that, we can also test the CDs on other machines to ensure that it isn't a disc-specific issue. Based on the skipping issue and the age of the system (manufactured in 2006), the next step would be service. Software only needs to be run during the initial setup when integrating the change to the Wave system and wouldn't be a factor with the skipping. 

Because service options can vary across global regions, you'll want to speak directly with an authorized service center. In addition to the call center number you have, CLICK HERE for contact information for Bermuda. 

sledgehammer
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2018

Re: Continuous/Simultaneous CD Skipping on BOTH the Wave Radio & Multi-Disc CD Players

I have that same problem, however with the 3 cd addon, there is no skipping. So, I know it's the main unit. something is not working right. When I want to play CD's I use the 3 disk unit, but I would like the main radio to be fixed.

Hi there sledgehammer,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your system.  You can contact your local support center if you would like, and can arrange for service.

Best Regards,

Brandon - Bose Support

sledgehammer
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 6, 2018

Hi Brandon,

There aren't any stores in St. Louis, so do I send my unit to one of the stores, or is there a service center near St. Louis?

Thanks,

Bill

Hi Bill,

You can actually contact tech support at (800)367-4008, and they will arrange for an RMA for you to return the product back to our repair facility.  

If you have any other questions, please let me know.

Best,

Brandon - Bose Support