MW63
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

DAB on Acoustic Wave II

Hi, I have an Acoustic Wave II Music Centre with DAB Module, I have re-scanned to find new stations and although most work fine some, although they appear in the display window, play no sound. Does anybody else have this issue and what might the solution be please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jeff_G

Re: DAB on Acoustic Wave II

Author Accepted Answer selected by MW63

My pleasure, MW63.

I will update the thread as soon as I receive a reply. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jeff_G

Hello MW63, 

Many thanks for posting. Welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues playing some of the new stations you have tuned to with your DAB module. 

Are you based in the UK? If so, have you checked the UK digital radio website to see if the station is supported in your area? You can check this here.

Kind regards,

Jeff G - Community Support

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
MW63
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Hi Jeff,

I am based in the UK, South East of the country and have checked that I can receive the DAB stations in question.

Jeff_G

Great, MW63, our team is also from the South East of the UK! 

Can you please confirm which DAB stations it is you are trying to listen to? 

Have you also already tried disconnecting the system from power for a few minutes before attempting to re-connect and scan again? 

Finally, when you tune to the station you want to listen to, I'd recommend holding the PLAY MODE button as this will tell you what the actual strength of the signal is. If it is poor, this could explain why this is happening. Remember, strong winds can cause issues with DAB reception especially on lesser-known stations as their transmitters are not as powerful. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G

MW63
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Hi Jeff,

The station concerned is Gold UK. I have done as suggested and powered down and up followed by a re-scan, still no joy!

The signal strength, both before and after powering down and re-scan is showing as 100. Out of interest our bedroom Bose does receive the station and reports a signal strength of 87 to 95 (fluctuating due to the current rain and wind).

Any further ideas?

Rgds

Jeff_G

Hello MW63, 

Very unusual. 

I have done a bit of research regarding this and saw a post suggesting you may need a unit that supports DAB+. 

You can read about this here: https://www.mygoldmusic.co.uk/radio/how-to-listen/dab-digital-radio/

Is the bedroom Bose speaker a newer model? 

Kind regards,

Jeff G  

MW63
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Hi Jeff,

The bedroom radio is the same age as the acoustic Wave II, both bought September 2012, the only difference is that in order to receive DAB on the Wave II I had to purchase the DAB module. Could this be the reason? I.E. one has the DAB tuner built in and the other not?

I have read the articale about DAB+ on the Gold site, but as you can imagine being able to receive it on one radio and not the other is confusing and made me wonder if there is an issue with the DAB module or if it requries an update?

Perhaps you can advise?

Rgds

Jeff_G

The thing is, MW63,

Only the Wave Music System III and the Wave Music System IV have DAB built directly into the system. For all other products, you need to use the DAB module, otherwise, you are limited to only FM and AM frequencies. 

It could very well be that the DAB module just doesn't support DAB+ stations as noted on that website as this seems to be the only differentiating factor between the systems. To confirm, the Wave in te bedroom, is that a Wave Music System III? 

If you are unsure of which model it is, you can enter the serial number on this link to confirm.

Kind regards,

Jeff G

MW63
Participant
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

Hi Jeff,

I can confirm that the bedroom model is a Wave Music System III.

I understand what you are saying about the module and agree with you that it, in it's present configuration, won't be able to receive DAB+ stations.

This then begs the question, are Bose going to update the modules to enable myself and other members of the community with the same DAB module so that we can listen to this and other stations as they migrate to DAB+?

Rgds

Jeff_G

It is a legacy product at this time, and I cannot guarantee this will be updated to meet new DAB+ specifications. If a software update can even bring support for that matter, or if it's hardware related. 

I'll certainly send some messages to our development team over in the US to see if this is possible. 

In the meantime, a great alternative would be to use something that can deliver internet radio stations. These are not limited by geographical location, generally, so you have a much wider range of choices! The easiest way to get this working on your Acoustic Wave II would be to use a tablet/smartphone that can download an app like TuneIn or Radio Player and connect it to the system via an AUX cable. If you have a spare phone lying around the house, this could make a perfect dedicate media device for that system. 

Kind regards,

Jeff G