abhilash
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

DOLBY Atmos and lifestyle 650

hi i have purchased lifestyle 650 two years back, now i would like to upgrade to DOLBY ATMOS.

1)Is there a possible way, if i buy a dolby atmos a/v reciever and use the lifestyle 650 hdmi out to dolby atmos a/v reciever and add up an additional two ceiling speakers to the atmos a/v reciever to uncompromised atmos experience?

2)If possibe, the (hdmi out) of the lifestyle 650 to be connected to which hdmi port of the atmos a/v reciever?

3 REPLIES 3
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: DOLBY Atmos and lifestyle 650

I don't know the answer, but I'm pretty sure it won't work as you describe (but it might).  The Bose 650 has one HDMI ARC that should normally be plugged into your tv.  Even if you plug it into your receiver, the Bose 650 is not going to pass an ATMOS signal to the receiver, I don't believe (but it might).

If I was going to try this, I would run an HDMI cable from an ATMOS receiver HDMI out to one of the Bose 650 HDMI in's for my 5 channel sound.  I would then connect two or four additional speakers to the ATMOS receiver Atmos speaker out's for the 2 or 4 ATMOS signals.  That might work.  Of course, if you do it this way, you're going to need to plug your cable box, DVR, and streaming device directly into the receiver.  If you stream from your smart TV, you'll need to connect in to your receiver using HDMI ARC.  You're also going to want to get full frequency range speakers for your ATMOS signals since they would not be playing through your Bose subwoofer.

I have actually considered trying this with my Bose Soundtouch 300 setup.

You could purchase your receiver and additional speakers from Best Buy or some other retailer who has a good return policy.  If it doesn't work, return them within the allowable return policy for a full refund.

Of course, your other option would be to sell the Bose 650 on eBay and purchase a couple Bose Acoustimass 10's along with your new ATMOS receiver and do a 7.2.2 or 5.2.4 Atmos system.

Highlighted

Hello abhilash! Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community.

The Lifestyle 650 is not compatible with the ATMOS format and is not able to pass that signal to a receiver. There are several threads in the forum that discuss the use of Acoustimass 10 systems for ATMOS arrangements. I'd recommend exploring those options as they are much better suited for your desired application that the Lifestyle 650.

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Maybe, maybe not.  It might work with the Bose 650 as I described above by going to the receiver first, then to the Bose 650 for 5 channel surround.  Plug 2 or 4 Atmos speakers into the receiver speaker outs for the overhead Atmos tracks.

If someone was inclined to try it, he could purchase the Atmos receiver first and give it a try.  If it didn't work, then purchase a couple Bose Acoustimass 10 systems.  If that worked as desired, sell the Bose 650 on eBay.  If it didn't work as desired, return the Atmos receiver and Acoustimass 10's for a full refund.