Highlighted
Brucejjm
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

DVD format not supported

My lifestyle home theater says it does not support the format of the new DVD I just tried to play. What does that mean and can it be fixed?
5 REPLIES 5

Re: DVD format not supported

`We'd like to learn more about this to help you. Does this issue happen on all DVDs or just the newest one you purchased. Was the DVD purchased in the same country as your Lifestyle system? What is the ISBN number of the DVD?

Brucejjm
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

It does not happen to all DVDs.  The problem DVD is was shipped from Amazon and I received it on January 10, 2017.  It's the movie The Accountant.  The number you asked for is 8 83929 48097 5.  

Thanks for your help on this.  Sorry for the delay in replying.

Regards, Bruce

Thank you Bruce for that number. There are no known title specific issues with this DVD, which means that one of three things are causing the issue. 

1. The disc itself is bad. 

2. You may have inadvertently gotten the Bluray version of the disc. 

3. You may have gotten a disc with the wrong region code (North America is region code 1). 

We'd recommend exchanging the disc through Amazon for another one. 

Brucejjm
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 13, 2017

The label indicates it's Region 1 and that it's a DVD, so I assumed it is a bad DVD.  Just before contacting Amazon for a replacement I tried to play it one more time .... and it worked fine.  Maybe the problem is not related to the region, type or quality of the disc as suggested.  I thought you would be interested to know whats going on.  Have you ever experienced anything like this?  Does it need to be cleaned -- something I've never done...?

While it is definitely strange that it wouldn't play on the initial attempts, the good news is that your system is fine if other DVDs are playing and this disc is the right format based on the information you gave us. We'd recommend starting the disc a few more times to test it while it is new and if the playability issue persists, exchange it through Amazon.