Highlighted
JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Does the Lifestyles 650 even need Dolby Atmos?

Hello, I've recently been seeing a lot of requests for the LS 650 to have an update including Dolby Atmos capability.

After doing a little research and looking at the Dolby site it seems to me that all the excitement with Dolby Atmos is the upward firing speakers.  Seems to me that Bose has been doing direct refelcting speakers like this for years.

Having said that, the LS 650 omni-jewel speakers are said to project true 360 degree sound.  Owning the LS 650 with the speakers mounted on the ceiling, and dual bass modules I can say that I do truly feel as though I am swimming/surrounded completely by sound.

So my question is, with the omni-jewel speakers throwing sound out 360 degrees, bouncing off ceilings/walls, etc what is the point in wanting Dolby Atmos for the LS 650 when it seems to already do what Atmos does (minus the name)?

Any thoughts on why Atmos would improve the LS 650 would be greatly appreciated as I don't see the point as it is.  Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Re: Does the Lifestyles 650 even need Dolby Atmos?

Author Accepted Answer selected by JaymeW

After doing more research I believe that it would be obvious that with Dolby Atmos, which includes not only a room full of speakers but also speakers in the ceiling if done correctly, you would have a more immersive experience.  The problem as I see it though is the room/ceiling full of speakers you need to have it done correctly.  I also believe that the so-called Dolby Atmos soundbar with upward firing speakers is counter-intuitive to the whole "Atmos" experience... just doesn't make sense to me that a soundar can somehow claim to put out Dolby Atmos with the addition of some upward firing speakers but the Bose omni-jewel speakers can't claim the same even if they project sound out 360 degrees.  I get the whole seperate channel thing but seriously how many seperate channels does a "home theatre" need to sound great?  Having said that, I'm pretty pleased with my LS 650 sound experience.  I have the center channel mounted underneath the TV and the front and surround all mounted on the ceiling.  I feel pretty well surrounded by sound and can feel the seperate channels/effects move pretty smoothly around me.  Like I said before, sure it may sound better if I replaced the LS 650 with a ton of speakers but that just seems like a scam portrayed upon the consumer by Dolby.  There is a home theatre place near my house called Audio Indulgence that has several theatres set up... one of them costs over $250,000 including the system, projector, screen, seats, walls, build-out, etc!  BTW- you can't even talk to the guys in there because they think their you know what doesn't stink and whatever you do don't mention Bose!  So, until I win the lottery and jump into that class of home theatre I think that my little LS 650 will be fine and that Dolby can kiss my rear end with this Atmos stuff.   

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Squadie
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Hi JamesW
Nice argument but, it's simular to comparing matrix sound to all speakers from a stereo source and having a Dolby True HD sound sent to individual speakers, known as Chanel's.
I myself have all four speakers ceiling mounted, only one am300 though 😞 but the sound is hunky dory, I will now wait until my system dies then, contemplate on a newer system, hopefully by then, Hdmi 2.1 is the norm in all appliances and, Dolby Atmos as even improved or, there's a better sound codec 🙂
Highlighted
JaymeW
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by JaymeW

After doing more research I believe that it would be obvious that with Dolby Atmos, which includes not only a room full of speakers but also speakers in the ceiling if done correctly, you would have a more immersive experience.  The problem as I see it though is the room/ceiling full of speakers you need to have it done correctly.  I also believe that the so-called Dolby Atmos soundbar with upward firing speakers is counter-intuitive to the whole "Atmos" experience... just doesn't make sense to me that a soundar can somehow claim to put out Dolby Atmos with the addition of some upward firing speakers but the Bose omni-jewel speakers can't claim the same even if they project sound out 360 degrees.  I get the whole seperate channel thing but seriously how many seperate channels does a "home theatre" need to sound great?  Having said that, I'm pretty pleased with my LS 650 sound experience.  I have the center channel mounted underneath the TV and the front and surround all mounted on the ceiling.  I feel pretty well surrounded by sound and can feel the seperate channels/effects move pretty smoothly around me.  Like I said before, sure it may sound better if I replaced the LS 650 with a ton of speakers but that just seems like a scam portrayed upon the consumer by Dolby.  There is a home theatre place near my house called Audio Indulgence that has several theatres set up... one of them costs over $250,000 including the system, projector, screen, seats, walls, build-out, etc!  BTW- you can't even talk to the guys in there because they think their you know what doesn't stink and whatever you do don't mention Bose!  So, until I win the lottery and jump into that class of home theatre I think that my little LS 650 will be fine and that Dolby can kiss my rear end with this Atmos stuff.   

View solution in original post