jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Dolby Atmos Is A Must For Me From Now On

I have a Bose Soundtouch 300 with rear surrounds and Bose Acostimass 300 subwoofer.  Until now, I have been pretty well satisfied with it.  My TV is an LG 65C7P OLED and I watch as much 4K as I can, mostly using Netflix.

Last night, I purchased the Microsoft Dolby Atmos Access app for my Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 computer.  I was leary to spend $15 for this app, but decided WTH, why not?  I have to say, I am totally blown away watching Dolby Atmos Netflix on my computer and using a cheap pair of wired Ear Protection headphones to hear the ATMOS sound.  It is totally awesome and I am really surprised that this techology actually works with a cheap pair of headphones.

I am now convinced I want a state-of-the-art Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 system, no more 5.1 or soundbars for me.  I don't know when I will update, but when I do, it will be Dolby Atmos.  I'm almost ready to head over to Best Buy and pick up an Atmos receiver and two Bose Acoustimass 10's and try it out as a Dolby Atmos 5.2.4 or 7.2.2.

My advice is don't buy any system that is not Dolby Atmos capable.  You're just missing too much without it.  Of course, you need a Dolby Atmos source.

Update:  I'm currently trying to figure out if and how I can listen to Dolby Atmos directly from my LG TV using a pair of Bluetooth headphones.  While the TV is supposedly Dolby Atmos capable, it can only pass that signal via the single HDMI ARC.  Optical is not capable of passing the Dolby Atmos signal.  I guess I could use optical to my Bose Soundtouch 300 and purchase an HDMI to Bluetooth adapter to plug into the HDMI ARC.  That might be worth a try.  Just need to order a cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones and an HDMI to Bluetooth adapter from Amazon.  I'm not sure if an adapter such as that will pass Dolby Atmos or not.

Update 2:  Well, I'm now thoroughly confused.  I'm not sure there is any way to get Dolby Atmos out of my LG TV to a pair of Bluetooth headphones.  If anyone knows this stuff better than me would chime in, I would appreciate it.  For now, I can receive the Netflix program on my computer and listen to Atmos via my cheap headphones.  I have the option to cast the video to my LG TV using a Microsoft wireless display adapter that works very well.  It's just cumbersome.

Update 3:  OK, if anyone has read this far, would an Apple TV 4K send Dolby Atmos out via bluetooth to bluetooth headphones?  That seems like an expensive way to do it, but that would allow me to watch Netflix 4K, Dolby Atmos on my LG 4K TV and use my Bose Soundtouch 300 for 5.1 sound or wireless headphones for Dolby Atmos sound, I think.  I guess the place to start is to buy a bluetooth headset and see what I get connecting directly to the LG TV.  Then, purchase an Apple TV 4K if I'm not getting Dolby Atmos to the headphones.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Dolby Atmos Is A Must For Me From Now On

Author Accepted Answer selected by jimgfitz

I tried pairing my Bose A20 headset with my LG TV just to see what kind of sound I could get.  I was unable to get it to pair.  Talking to the guy at Magnolia (Best Buy), he said there is no way I will be able to get the Atmos (simulated or whatever it is) over bluetooth.  He also didn't think I would ever get a bluetooth headset to pair with my LG TV.  IDK?

For now, I bought a Sennheiser RS 175 that works very well connecting the base station to my LG TV optical.  However, I'm not sure I like being tied to the base station and not being able to use the headphone with my iPhone or iPad, etc.  I have 14 days to decide if I want to return them and try an optical to bluetooth adapter and get a moderately priced bluetooth headset.

If I try the Atmos receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 setup, I'll let you know.  That's not something I will do in the near future, I don't think.  However, I would love to hear how that would sound.

Update:  Or, I may keep the Sennheiser for TV viewing late at night and pick up an inexpensive bluetooth headset for use with my iPhone and iPad.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi jimgfitz,

Thanks for writing in!  I do agree, Atmos is quite an experience!  

In most cases, Bluetooth uses the A2DP profile for stereo audio transmission.  In regards to the computer. it sounds like the app is using an encoding that allows psychoacoustics to kick in to give you a perception of sound moving vertically very similar to gaming headsets.  If you do end up going the route with the multiple Acoustimass 10 systems, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the setup.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by jimgfitz

I tried pairing my Bose A20 headset with my LG TV just to see what kind of sound I could get.  I was unable to get it to pair.  Talking to the guy at Magnolia (Best Buy), he said there is no way I will be able to get the Atmos (simulated or whatever it is) over bluetooth.  He also didn't think I would ever get a bluetooth headset to pair with my LG TV.  IDK?

For now, I bought a Sennheiser RS 175 that works very well connecting the base station to my LG TV optical.  However, I'm not sure I like being tied to the base station and not being able to use the headphone with my iPhone or iPad, etc.  I have 14 days to decide if I want to return them and try an optical to bluetooth adapter and get a moderately priced bluetooth headset.

If I try the Atmos receiver and Bose Acoustimass 10 setup, I'll let you know.  That's not something I will do in the near future, I don't think.  However, I would love to hear how that would sound.

Update:  Or, I may keep the Sennheiser for TV viewing late at night and pick up an inexpensive bluetooth headset for use with my iPhone and iPad.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Last night I watched Okja streaming 4k, Atmos from Netflix on my Surface Pro 4 Windows 10 computer with the Microsoft Atmos Access app.  I sent the video to my LG TV using a Microsoft display adapter and sent the Atmos audio to my Sennheiser RS 175 headset.  I plugged the headset base into my computer headset jack and the emulated Atmos sound was terrific.  While this is a cumbersome way to do it, it works very well.

At this point, I'm thinking I may try an XBox One instead of the Windows 10 computer.  The same Microsoft Atmos Access app that I already purchased is supported by the XBox.  I could sell my Oppo DVD player and use the XBox for playing DVD's and for streaming Netflix.  I could plug my Sennheiser headset base into the XBox using the 3.5 mm cable while also plugging it into my TV using optical.   There is a switch on the headset base for switching between inputs.  Now, I just need to decide if I want to spend another $250 for the XBox to continue chasing this Atmos dream.