FIXED!! Remote Control Fail Wave Music System Model AWRCC1

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

FIXED!! Remote Control Fail Wave Music System Model AWRCC1

Hello,

A quick story.

I received the Wave Music System from my grandmother. She never used it much. Not at all for years. It looks new.

The remote stopped working years ago. She contacted BOSE and purchasing a new remote was the suggested solution.

That was 2014 and my GM became irratated in the failed outcome of the new remote control and stored the radio away.

I have both remotes. Both remotes emit an IR signal as detected on a cell phone camera.

System was reset by unpluging many times. (it was unpluged for 4 years).

It will accept a CD and play it, it will eject that CD when power is cycled.

Can the issue be with the remotes even though they both emit IR when a button is pressed?

My thoughts now lead to replacing the 38 kHz IR detector on the display PC board.

Has the IR detector been a common problem?

Any other help or suggestions?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by MarshC

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: Remote Receiver Wave Music System Model AWRCC1

Again - After the remote failed and a new remote also failed. Yet both remotes emitted signal using the cell phone camera test.

The culprit was then most likely the IR detector mounted on the display PC board to the left of the screen. (black square with a bubble bulge in the center.

Replacement (TSOP4838 will work) was under $2 but shipping increased cost to around $7 total. IR detector 38kHz. Probably a bad batch of these were used in 2004 as this problem is somewhat common.

Moderate skill soldering job - need fine point soldering pencil. Small part with 3 leads makes it difficult to remove the old (hardest part) - install new straight in with bubble facing up. Leave the leads with 3/16" on the part side so the IR Detector can be bent down so the bubble faces out after soldering onto board. Be sure to follow all safety requirements and practices when working inside electrical devices. Use caution.

Yeah, great sounding radio and now TWO working remotes!!!

s-l300.jpgSuccess.

9 REPLIES 9

Hello MarshC,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue. Assuming you have also tried replacing the battery in the remote, (the battery number is CR2032) this can be repaired. Please contact us HERE for further assistance. 

Best Regards,

- Emmet

Bose Community

Audible Advocate

Again - After the remote failed and a new remote also failed. Yet both remotes emitted signal using the cell phone camera test.

The culprit was then most likely the IR detector mounted on the display PC board to the left of the screen. (black square with a bubble bulge in the center.

Replacement (TSOP4838 will work) was under $2 but shipping increased cost to around $7 total. IR detector 38kHz. Probably a bad batch of these were used in 2004 as this problem is somewhat common.

Moderate skill soldering job - need fine point soldering pencil. Small part with 3 leads makes it difficult to remove the old (hardest part) - install new straight in with bubble facing up. Leave the leads with 3/16" on the part side so the IR Detector can be bent down so the bubble faces out after soldering onto board. Be sure to follow all safety requirements and practices when working inside electrical devices. Use caution.

Yeah, great sounding radio and now TWO working remotes!!!

s-l300.jpgSuccess.

Friendly Fanatic

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your post.  My situation is essentially identical to what yours was.  Could you please direct me to the source where you obtained that part?  Were you able to order it from Bose?  I would hope that the local Tech Support Gurus take note of your solution; I bet there are dozens more folks in this same boat.  Thanks a million!

Audible Advocate

Hi,

Just google the part number TSOP4838. 38 khz IR sensor. Looks like the pic.
About $2 from many electronic suppliers. With min shipping $5. So order other stuff if you have a list.
Remembering my experience the only assistance Bose offers for any problem is "buy a new system".
Mine is still going strong.
Repair is medium skill. Should know a bit about soldering. Most difficult part is heating the 3 leads to remove old part. I heat one side and lean it away then do the other. Need a fine point iron. Don't bugger up the board. Place new one in, solder the leads then bend the sensor 90 deg into position.
Good luck!
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

Thanks so much! Do you recomment removing the entire display module (i.e. disconnecting it from the ribbon cables) to do this or did you leave it in place?

Audible Advocate

I think that I left it connected but not sure. If I makes it easier.....
Friendly Fanatic

And now (as the late, great Paul Harvey used to say) "For The Rest Of The Story"!

I ordered the part you mentioned (from the same vendor on eBay, I think) and it just got in yesterday.  My electronics expertise is "intermediate" at best (I'm fair but not great with a soldering iron) but I decided to try and take a stab at it anyway.  After painstakingly removing the old part and (equally painstakingly) installing the new one I tried (while the unit was still disasembled of course) testing it with the original remote but to no avail.  I then tried both of the new remotes that Bose sent me with the same results.  I was just about to give up when I decided to wriggle the "electric eye" (sensor) just for the Hell of it and lo & behold it worked!  However, before I "declared victory" and put the case back on I moved the unit around a little bit and to my great dissapointment the remote immediately went dead again.  At that point was about to give up and call it a day but I got out my trusty magnifying glass to inspect the leads on the display PCB.  Sure enough I discovered that it had a dreaded "cold solder (shoulder? - ha ha) joint" (probably because the 3 little leads were so close together that I was afraid too much heat / excess solder would cause a short between 1 or more of them) but I took a big chance & re-soldered the lot.  Perhaps it was something akin to a miracle but when I subsequently tried the remote it worked like a charm!  Problem solved and for a fraction of the cost of sending it off to a repair shop (much-less buying a new one) so you get the Bose Kudos Award of the Year!  It was nerve-wracking and definitely not a job for the lesser-skilled "soldering iron jockey" (which is close to what I am) but somehow I managed to do the deed!  (Probably more luck than skill)  Thanks so much for the "lead" (if you'll pardon the expression) on how to salvage an otherwise remote-less, rather elderly (aka 'classic') Bose Wave Radio / CD.  I hope this helps a plethora of other guys in my / our same situation!

Silent Starter

Re: FIXED!! Remote Control Fail Wave Music System Model AWRCC1

Original remote stopped so I replaced it, but new remote isn't working either. The clock is working and the cd player also if I plug and unplug power source.

Friendly Fanatic

Re: FIXED!! Remote Control Fail Wave Music System Model AWRCC1

You sound like a candidate for what MarshC suggested to me, which worked like the proverbial charm.  However, I'd secure the component part (the exact one he advised you to get) and take it to a trusted electronic repair shop (along with a copy of MarshC's instructions) and have them replace the "electric eye" part.  I came close to messing mine up by a somewhat sloppy soldering job.  There was apparently a bad batch of sensors on those units and they seem to be dying off all here about the same time.  If you do that you're more than likely to get all of your remote control functions back.  Be sure to leave the remote at the shop so the tech can test it out along the way to ensure it works before he returns the unit to you.  This will give you years more life out of the old thing...