mcmgant
Participant
Registered since

Aug 1, 2017

Free Space 51 - Tinny Sound - New House

We recently moved into a new house with a fabulous speaker setup around an existing pool.  This includes two Freespace 51 Speakers.  We wired both up with a

Yamaha R-N402.  One speaker sounds fabulous, the other sounds very tinny and without much base response.  I reversed the phase yesterday in an attempt to troubleshoot without much change.  Next up will be to pull the speaker jack out of the wall inside and check the connections (we had to re-strip and place a new indoor faceplate on the connections inside as the previous owner did not have this setup).  Any additional ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

3 REPLIES 3
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Re: Free Space 51 - Tinny Sound - New House

Hi mcmgant, 

Sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. Is it possible to try the bad sounding FreeSpace 51 connected to the other output on the Yamaha that we know is working normally with the other speaker? Ideally we want to try the bad sounding speaker with a confirmed good output on the receiver and a confirmed good speaker cable. This will tell us if the issue is inherent in the speaker itself. If the problem follows the speaker, please give a call to your local service group. They can be found by going to the site HERE, selecting your country, click "Support" in the upper right corner, scroll down and click on "Contact Us" to get their phone number. 

Thank you 

mcmgant
Participant
Registered since

Aug 1, 2017

After some investigating - and light landscaping - I found that the speaker base was full with approximately a gallon to a gallon and a half of water.  I drained the speaker by inverting - attempting to not splash the driver - and am letting it dry out in the hot Georgia sun currently.  I surmise that the previous owner may have allowed water to collect when watering nearby plants.  After all sufficiently dries, I am going to give this a second run.  I'm hopeful that solved the problem, but I am curious as to water collecting in these speakers - clearly it was not drained well, and I will re-install with some rocks around the speaker, but has this happend to others?

Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi mcmgant, 

Wow - good catch! I have heard of similar reports when a speaker was full of water, like you mention. Typically this is why we don't recommending placing them in a location where water collects as mentioned in the owners guide on page 5. Best of luck. I hope this solves it. If it doesn't, let us know. The Freespace 51s are one of our products that users definitely obsess over, and we'd like you to as well. 

Thank you