Wagaman317
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

GS 321 series 1

I know this is considered ancient now but its what I could get and it actually sounds very good. The problem and my question is, when its shut off in standby mode i can hear a very low hum coming from the subwoofer. This is with the power off. Now in the past i think ive heard of this problem when there was a failing power supply. Does this soumd like whats going on? I dont have the money to give it to some shop so they can pick it apart and cost loads of money for a simple fix. And i cant just toss it away or sell it. Im still very happy with it. I use it solely for audio. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Re: GS 321 series 1

Hi Wagaman317, 

Many thanks for your question and welcome to the community.

Is the Bass Module still connected to power whilst this "hum" noise is being produced?

Potentially this could be due to feedback, have you disconnect the Bass Module from the unit to see if the issue persists?

Many thanks

Leon_C - Community Support

Wagaman317
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

Well, the way this systems setup i cant isolate the sub. The power cord plugs into the sub first then the othe thick cable comes out of the sub to the Bose receiver/DVD player. The thing is it cant be heard while its being used. Only when the power is off theres a faint hum and if you put your hand on the sub you can feel it. I read on other threads about it more than likely being the transformer in the sub since its doing it while powered off. And because its an old system. It still sounds great though. Does it sound like a transformer to you?

Thank you for getting back to us Wagaman317.

If we were to unplug the cable going to the main console and just have the sub plugged into power, nothing else connected to it, do we still have the humming sound? This would let us know if it is a power issue in the bass module itself or caused by the connection the rest of the system. Also I'm guessing when the whole system is disconnected from the power we no longer experience the humming.

It is possible that it could be related to the power supply or a transformer, hopefully this troubleshooting will help us determine whether that is the case.

Let us know how you get on.

All the best.

Keith_L - Community Support - 

Wagaman317
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 20, 2019

I'm sorry for not getting right back. Anyway yeah it still does it. I even plugged just the sub in with no other wires and it did it. Transformer? Cause its an older one?
Highlighted

Hi Wagaman317, 

Many thanks for testing this out for us.I would have to agree with you, it appears to be either the transformer causing the low hum. I'm afraid to fix this particular issue, the system would need to be taken apart and repaired. As you mentioned this will have a cost due to the age of the system, however if you do wish to continue with this, you can contact our Customer Support Team for further assistance.

If you select this link - Contact Us, you can select your region. Scroll to the bottom and select contact us which will provide you with their contact number.

Many thanks

Leon_C