Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Has Anyone Upgraded from Bose SoundTouch 300 To Bose LifeStyle 600 or 650

I recently sold my old Bose Acoustimass 7 and Bose Acoustimass 5 and purchased a Bose SoundTouch 300 with subwoofer and rear surround speakers.  I bought a new LG 65 OLED C7 (amazing tv) and my wife wanted the Bose cubes gone.  I must say I am pretty well satisfied with the Bose SoundTouch 300 except for the annoying HDMI lost signal issues.

My question is to anyone who has upgraded from the Bose 300 to a Bose 600 or 650.  After the upgrade, did you feel it was worth the added $1,300/$2,300 plus tax?  My wife seems to be OK with the soundbar and does not want the front left and right speakers even though they are tiny.  For the sake of family peace and unity, I'm thinking I will keep the Bose 300 but just wondering what I am missing and should I pursue an upgrade.  My LG C7 and Oppo 203 are very capable.

Thanks for any input.

10 REPLIES 10
Advisor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

Re: Has Anyone Upgraded from Bose SoundTouch 300 To Bose LifeStyle 600 or 650

Nope. It is not worth the upgrade at all. Let me share why.

Bose IS NOT EVEN future proofing the 650 by allowing upgrade to the HDMI 2.1 eARC for Atmos or DTS:X.

Yep! Spent $4000 on a system that will be obsolete in about 1 year. Just isn't that an exciting? A wasted investment of $4000. Way to go Bose. Thanks a million.

Wait . . . I mean thanks a $4000.

Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

You are missing out on a fair bit, and there are two main areas that the Lifestyles improve on:

The speakers themselves - Even if you get the rears for the SoundTouch 300, the speakers on the Lifestyles are better quality.  The 600 has the Jewel cube speakers that provide better sound and better reflected sound.  The 650 goes a step further with sound coming out of all sides to provide a more immersive experience.

THe console provides a whole list of features including providing better sound.  They don't really advertise it but in previous Lifestyles they have had decoders, which convert mono and stereo sound into surround sound.  THis means that whatever source (VHS, stereo TV, etc) you have going into it "upgrades" the sound. I can only assume they still have that in it, because playing free-to-air TV gives better surround than on the SOundtouch (my experience with the bar is that it replicates the front left to the back left and same for the right).

They also have more inputs (6 HDMI, 2 optical), a better remote with a screen (with easier setup to control other devices), RF remote so you can hide the console away.

The main reason to get the Soundbar is simplicity - if you don't want the extra speakers, if you can't run wires, if you're renting and will get the rears later on.  It does a good job for what it is.   I compare them to cars.  Mercedes will have a more affordable option, but it's not going to have the comfort, range, preformance or extras of thier high end models.  Sure, both cars get you where you want to go, but they are two different experiences and you often get what you pay for.

Advisor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

And don't forget.

The system will be obsolete in about 1 year even though spending $4000.

Definitely do not forget that.

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your responses.  I should have been more clear with my question.  I am well aware of the specifications, capabilities, and limitations of each system.  What I am interested in hearing about is the difference in the 5.1 surround sound experience.  When you upgraded from Bose 300 5.1 to Bose 600 or Bose 650 5.1, was it an OMG experience or was is a Oh OK experience.  In other words, is the difference worth the $1,300/$2,300 upgrade cost?

Participant
Registered since

Oct 28, 2017

That's an interesting topic. I recently, three days ago, purchased the Soundbar 300. I went back to the store out of curiosity to hear the Bose 600. I, too, could not justify the increase of another $1,500.00 in price. Why doesn't Bose offer a "Half-way" point with an increase in sound difference. I don't understand. I'm almost considering in returning it and considering another brand. 

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The half-way product would be Bose 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers.  That's what I bought for $1,700.  I think it's well worth the price if you want a system without running wires and your wife is vehemently against speakers everywhere.  She said the soundbar looks like it's part of the tv.

Participant
Registered since

Oct 28, 2017

I just upgraded, after a month of trying out the Sound Touch 300 to the Lifestyle 600. I can happily say, I'm very satisfied on my decision. I know its double the cost, but the sound and the ease of setup was allot easier than configuing the Sound Bar 300. The sound is exceptionally better, in fact, allot better, cleaner and powerful. Just my 2 cents. 

Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks for your response.  I'm really liking my Bose Soundtouch 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers, but still considering this upgrade.  I have until sometime in January to decide.

Participant
Registered since

Oct 28, 2017

They gave you that much time to try it out. They, Bose, only have me 30 days. But, I believe you'll LOVE the Lifestyle 600. I do....its WAY different. 

@Xyz987 wrote:

Thanks for your response.  I'm really liking my Bose Soundtouch 300 with subwoofer and rear speakers, but still considering this upgrade.  I have until sometime in January to decide.