Highlighted
brilliantatbreakfast
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 6, 2018

How to play audio from Mac mini through original Wave system?

I am trying to play sound from my Mac mini through my old original Bose Wave system.  This is the white one with the controls and CD flip-lid.  Can anyone tell me which ports to use on the Wave system?  I also have the docking station for this unit, and I have no idea what purpose the docking station serves except to add yet more RCA ports.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
brilliantatbreakfast
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 6, 2018

Re: How to play audio from Mac mini through original Wave system?

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Joel_D

I got it working by taking the Wave off the docking station (which seems to be only necessary if you need multiple AUX inputs) and using the headphone jack on the Mini.  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

I speak as someone with both 2010 and 2014 Mac Mini models and I will list what should be possibe for almost every model here:

1. Wave Systems without Soundtoucb base unit, use 3.5mm audio cable (2 channel) to aux input and expect some initial delay that will be ok for music, but may show lipsync issues.

2. Soundtouch Wave, as per 1 but Bluetooth works much better and does not have then lipsync issue.

3. Soundtouch 20, 30, use Bluetooth as per 2.

4. Home speaker 500, as per 3.

5. Soundtouch 300, use HDMI connection from the Mac to HDMI input (enable in the Soundtouch app) and set Audio Midi settings to 8 channel, 24 bit, 48khz, 7.1 surround for best results. You can also use the optical input but you need small adapter for the square ended optiical cables at the Mac Mini end of the lead and output is limited to 5.1. On either optical or HDMI, ITunes TV and Movie content may be played but see later note. Bluetooth can also be used but this is inferior.

6. Soundbar 500, connect via Bluetooth or optical as per 4 but this unit check with Bose if you intend to get one to confirm the best settings as Dolby and DTS decoding is absent.

7. Soundbar 700, use HDMI arc via TV if supported, optical if not and and Bluetooth as last resort. You might be aboe to use HDMI here if you have a matrix switch unit but propably not a good idea. To make best use of this you need top to find a TV that supports HDMI 2.2 (specifically HDMI e-arc) however almost nothing does yet so be prepared to wait several months before replacing your TV.

If you are playing Itunes media that has surround content such as Movies and TV series only enable the ‘prefer ac3’ option if you are connected via optical.

I have sound that some games are not conpatible with setting Surround sound on the audio Mini options (everything else works fine, the games in Queston are Doom 3 and Quake 4 from Aspyr when you need to force 2 channel use or I found gets a nasty chopping noise from Soundtouch 300, not a fault with the unit, its a known issue with the game).

brilliantatbreakfast
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 6, 2018

Bose Best Answer selected by Moderator Joel_D

I got it working by taking the Wave off the docking station (which seems to be only necessary if you need multiple AUX inputs) and using the headphone jack on the Mini.  Thanks.

Hello brilliantatbreakfast,

Thank you for posting and sharing your solution.

I'm sure this will be beneficial to other community members.

Have a great day!

Regards,

Joel - Community Support