How to tell what audio signal is being received by the Bose Soundbar 700

Highlighted
Strident Supporter

How to tell what audio signal is being received by the Bose Soundbar 700

I have searched the Bose music app, but I cannot find how to determine if the Soundbar is receiving a 5.1 Dolby Digital or basic stereo signal from the optical port.

My Samsung TV supposedly only supports 2.0 from its toslink port when the TV is connected to an HDMI source.  So I have purchased an HDMI switch with a built in audio extractor which supports 5.1 audio.  But how can I confirm what signal is being received by the soundbar?

I’m looking forward to purchasing the Bose surround speakers but need to confirm I’m getting a proper surround sound signal beforehand.   Thanks Dan.

3 REPLIES

Re: How to tell what audio signal is being received by the Bose Soundbar 700

Hi DanEllisUK

Thanks for writing in!

At this point, the Bose Music app and the soundbar will not be able to display the current audio format that's playing.  The Soundbar 700 is capable of Dolby Digital and DTS.  In this case, I would check to see what the HDMI extractor is able to output,  From here, when you select Info for the TV, what audio format is being displayed should be what the soundbar is receiving.

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Strident Supporter

My TV does not have an optical input, so I have no other way to identify what format is being output.   The only device I have with an optical input is the Bose Soundbar 700, and I imagine this would be the case for most people.

Please could you raise this with your development team? Maybe it could be added to the Technical Information page on the Bose music app?

All it needs to identify is whether the Soundbar is receiving either a Stereo, Dolby Digital or DTS signal.

Many Thanks

Hi DanEllisUK

Thanks for the reply!

I have confirmed that there isn't a way to gather this information from the soundbar or the app.  I have put in a feature request for you to see if this is something that can be implemented in a future update. 

Warm Regards,

Tony A