Gbradley
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

I would like to add my Yamaha RX-V381 am/fm receiver to my Cinemate 130 Home theater system

6 REPLIES 6
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: I would like to add my Yamaha RX-V381 am/fm receiver to my Cinemate 130 Home theater system

>I would like to add my Yamaha RX-V381 am/fm receiver to my Cinemate 130 Home theater system

Why?

Ryan_M
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: I would like to add my Yamaha RX-V381 am/fm receiver to my Cinemate 130 Home theater system

While this is a non-traditional setup, it is definitely possible by running the audio output of the receiver into the Cinemate 130 system. 

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

The reason I asked "why" is that it seems you are duplicating your hardware strategy.

Bose Moderator says:
>While this is a non-traditional setup, it is definitely possible by running the audio output of the receiver into the Cinemate 130 system.

No disagreement...but by using a Cinemate 15 together with an AV receiver you are going to add multiple layers of digital playback and decoding possibly resulting in over processing. Not to mention the signal collecting noise from the duplicate system circuitry. 

If you are looking for speakers for your receiverperphaps consider buying some unpowered speakers. If you are thinking about using the AV receiver for HDMI switching, of course that should work, but again you run the risk of increased internal noise because of so much circuitry before the signal gets to the speaker cones.

Alternatively if you want to freshen up your Cinemate system, the new SoundTouch Wireless Link looks very promising.

As an aside, last year I cleared out my old 5.1 system which consisted of a Yamaha AV reciever and Boston Acoustics speakers and sub. That setup gave me years of listening pleasure. I now have a Cinemate 130 - a very clean sounding and good looking setup and less wires!

Good luck figuring out your system pairing.

Gbradley
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

Thanks for the info. I only want to use the receiver's  AM/FM turner. I have not been able to find a am/fm turner for the 130. Thanks again!

Gbradley
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2016

I would like to use the AM/FM turner for radio. I have not been able to find an am/fm turner or radio for the 130 system.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Ahhh...
A couple years ago my cable company dropped FM over cable. That forced me to radio over ip. I got my first SoundTouch, never looked back.

When you are ready SoundTouch/ VTuner offer thousands of radio stations over ip. Likely your favorite radio station is included.
The Bose SoundTouch Wireless link or an Apple Airport express plugged into the Cinemate is the simplest way to get ip to the Cinemate.

Cheers.