Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Issues with BOSE LifeStyle 550

Greetings,

At the beginning of this year I purchased BOSE LifeStyle 550 System BLK 230V EU. I had issues with it since the very beginning, as the store in which I bought it sold me the unit that was out on the display, meaning that it also included some sort of anti-burglary system. Because of that I could not get it to launch - even after restoring the factory settings. After contacting the tech support it turned out that I had to ship the entire system to Belgium, where it was inspected and determined to be working in order. But unfortunately once we got it back and tried to launch it ourselves, nothing was shown on the TV screen as before. Only then the store in which we got it reacted, and removed the before mentioned anti-burglary locks.
We managed to enjoy the music for a few months, during which the system was managing to update through WiFi just fine, up until 3 months ago when the update failed. The system itself worked but option to enter the SETUP mode somehow did not. Wary of additional complications related to restoring the factory settings, the system was used for another few months. We realized that soon it won't be long before our warranty expires and that it will be impossible to make do without access to the SETUP menu any longer, so we decided for a factory reset after which we would install the firmware from an USB drive. Alas the TV screen showed nothing and neither did the remote - although we noticed that the LED on the unit indicated readiness to connect with the remote, and after a couple of tries we managed to do just that, but unfortunately the only function that worked was System Off. Obviously we could not access the UNIFY function because the SETUP button did not work, and the language selection prompt did not appear either. Our correctly connected TV that worked before currently does not display any video signal, the BOSE logo never appears.
Is there anything we can do to get the system running again, or will it be necessary to ship the entire system back to Belgium again?

Regards, Tomasz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Re: Issues with BOSE LifeStyle 550

Author Accepted Answer selected by TomaszPL

Hi!

Month ago I've received back the unit described here. It seems that the mainboard (assembly) of the device was replaced and it's seemingly in working order now. Thanks for your answers and help. I'm closing this thread. Yet the problem which makes me unable to control Yamaha CD N301 with BOSE pilot still persists - can't skip to the next track, etc. I think the current BOSE firmware is not compatible with this device, - maybe it will change in the future. Maybe i'll make another post for this case.

Regards - Tomasz

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Jessie_O

Hi Tomasz, 

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Community! 

I'm truly sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be experiencing with this system. This is not normal behavior and I will do all I can to assist you. 

Firstly, I would recommend a Soft reset by unplugging the system from power, waiting for 30 seconds and plugging it back in. Hopefully, this should help to get your system up and running again! 

If this is unsuccessful, I would recommend attempting the Factory Reset again. 

Let me know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Greetings,

First of all I would like to thank you for a quick response. I considered the advice and performed a warm reset by turning off the device for more than 30 seconds. Unfortunately nothing appeared on the TV screen. The amber LED on the device has stopped blinking for a while, but resumed eventually. In the end the LED turned red. The system is installed in a rather remote location, where the internet connection can be somewhat unreliable, but after making sure that the internet access is in fact available on another device - a warm reset has been repeated, unfortunately with the same effect - soon after the device turned itself off. On the next day we performed a cold reset (setup + source) to factory settings. Nothing appeared on the TV screen, pressing the SETUP button did nothing either, the LED kept blinking white and after a while it turned solid red. Before my first post I contacted my local tech support, they advised that if there is no video signal at all then the case is quite serious, and that the entire system will have to be shipped to Belgium. At this point we are wondering whether the fact that we were sold a device that was out on the store's exhibition could mean that it has some additional restrictions and locks related to the network it is connected to. After resetting the device to factory settings, as before the BOSE logo does not appear, the SETUP button does not bring up a menu. We are quite wary that shipping the system to Belgium again will have the same results as before, meaning that it will be diagnosed as working in order and sent back to us, the video signal will not appear and maybe after a reset at the store in which we bought it the signal will appear - we would rather not haul it all the way to the city again as it is quite a drive. What do you suggest we should do?

Regards, Tomasz

Jessie_O

Hi Tomasz, 

Thank you so much for coming back to me and supplying that additional information. This is really helpful. 

I've been able to do a bit of research on your system and it looks like the reason you are not getting video on your TV is due to a System Error. This is noted by the solid red LED on the front of the console. Unfortunately, this issue can not be resolved through troubleshooting and I would encourage you to send your system in to us again. The team will be more than happy to assist you with booking this in and getting your repair in motion. 

In regards to your query about the additional security features, this isn't something that I can assist you with and would recommend contacting the store for more information. 

I hope this helps, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more assistance on this occasion. Let us know how you get on! 

Kindest, 

Jessie O 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Hello!

As suggested here on the forum, i have immediately contacted nearest
local BOSE service to open a case. It has taken few days, finally the
package was taken today by a shipping company. I've packed the
LifeStyle 550 central unit and remote control, which after all tries
described here - looks like it's not programmed (all settings lost).
It's worth mentioning that included BOSE LifeStyle 550 Users Manual
doesn't say a word how the remote should be paired with central box. I
was also never able to control my basic CD player Yamaha N301 with BOSE
remote control, while the LifeStyle 550 was in working order. I'll let
you know about results, when the unit will be back from Belgium service
center.

Regards - Tomasz

TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Hello!

To be more precise about lack of display (no Bose logo, setup screen, etc.) on TV after hard resetting the central unit - my TV screen is a Sony KDL-50W656A, which of course has a HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) connector.

Best regards.

Tomasz

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

This won't help you, but I would never purchase an open box or floor model.  If I was you, I would insist on a new, factory sealed replacement.

TomaszPL
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by TomaszPL

Hi!

Month ago I've received back the unit described here. It seems that the mainboard (assembly) of the device was replaced and it's seemingly in working order now. Thanks for your answers and help. I'm closing this thread. Yet the problem which makes me unable to control Yamaha CD N301 with BOSE pilot still persists - can't skip to the next track, etc. I think the current BOSE firmware is not compatible with this device, - maybe it will change in the future. Maybe i'll make another post for this case.

Regards - Tomasz

View solution in original post