For Christmas I added a second acoustimas module to my system. Ever since then my left rear wireless speaker works intermittently. One day it works and then next I have to unplug it to do a hard reset. In addition most of the time it will become yellow for a second then white meaning its connected., I will hear sound for that second when the white light is on then it goes dark for five second becomes yellow and then white with sound for a second. It’s driving me crazy. This is about 70 percent of the time. The other 30 percent it fully on white and connected with perfect sound. Please help.
Happy to hear about your addition of a second Acoustimass module. How are you finding it? Happy to help with the surround speakers.
As the issue has only just begun, it may likely be caused by wireless interference from other electronic devices within the home. Could you tell us a little more about the physical setup of your Lifestyle system? Have you tried relocating either of the bass modules to different areas within the room? Are there any devices such as internet routers nearby?
When it works it’s amazing. I love the bass. I have moved the left brick to other outlets and it’s the same. At that wall I have a SoundTouch 30 but I had it their for the first year without the second bass module with no issues. I think the brick is malfunctioning or the second module is causing issues.
The second bass module is on the right side in the back and shares an outlet with the right brick. I have swapped bricks with the left and right switch and it the same issue where that brick works sometimes and intermittently 65 percent of the time.
Awesome, happy to hear you're enjoying the benefits of a second bass module!
To confirm, have you physically swapped the wireless receivers round? You can leave the power cables and actual speakers where they're situation - just swapping out both of the receiver blocks that normally sit on the floor. Then, flipping their switches from "L" and "R" to match the correct side. Would love to know if the issue remains with the same receiver, which would indicate a possible fault with that component. If the issue doesn't remain with the wireless receiver, it may be instead interference.
While we're in the process of this, I also recommend performing a reset on the Lifestyle system. To do this, disconnect the console, bass modules, and surround speakers from power and leave to rest for at least two minutes. Then, reconnect back and re-test.
Looking forward to hearing back.
I have done this multiple times. I’ll do it again. In addition, when multiple days have gone with it working intermittently the only thing left is the hard reset and that works. It’s very strange.
Thanks for getting back in touch.
In addition to the above, have you tried disconnecting your bass module from power to see if the rear speakers continue to disconnect?
If they begin working it is likely what Andy mentioned regarding interference. The room may be 'over-crowded' with wireless devices. Moving some unnecessary devices may help with this. If your router is in the room, for instance, I would suggest trying to find a new home for it in another area of the house.
If the issue persists when the bass module is unplugged and unnecessary devices have been relocated, then it could be a problem with the receiver as you mentioned, so I would suggest getting in touch with local support via this link.