Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 2, 2017

LifeStyle 650 plays SoundTouch in LPCM 2.0

When use spotify connect to play music on my LS 650, its only outputs in LPCM 2.0 format according to the menu on the remote. Why is it doing this and is there a way I can change the settings to play in 5.1? I'm still getting sound out of my sub and rear speakers, but I want it to be true 5.1

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Re: LifeStyle 650 plays SoundTouch in LPCM 2.0

Hi Jay7962
The 2.0 or stereo is what Spotify streams through the Internet. To stream true 5.1 music, would take alot more bandwidth and, cost Spotify customers more in subscriptions.
Even most cds are only stereo with, one or two actual ones encoded to 5.1
What the Bose or any other AV Receiver does to the stereo sound is, pass the low frequency into the sub, and its the Bose DSPs that pass some information to the rear speakers hence, what you hear. Other AV Receivers will make the user select Dolby Pro Logic to get some sound to the rear speakers.
On the remote under AV Settings, Device AV, Audio, selecting Normal will give you the Dolby Pro Logic effect, selecting Direct with music, recommended setting, will give you stereo or more if the source outputs in 5.1
Hope this helps
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

I get this sometimes too.

Is LPCM any good?

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Most av receivers decode the other codecs into PCM or LPCM (multi channel) which the DAC recognises, so digital sound can be converted to analogue sound which the human ear detects.
Its normally recommended that, the av receiver carries out the decoding because LPCM uses alot of bandwidth within the HDMI cable.
So a long story short, Dolby or DTS codecs are converted to LPCM, this then goes into the digital to analogue converter (DAC) and then onto the speakers.
Hope this helps.
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

So you are recomending to use the LPCM or PCM format over Dolby Digital or DTS?

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

Dolby or DTS are containers to compress Digital sound, think of them like a suit case, they may hold the exact same clothes but packed in different ways so, some clothes may be more creased than others, once unpacked.  PCM or LPCM will be like going on Holiday without a suitcase and carrying all your clothes over your arm 🙂

The above codecs are not special sound effect, they are just containers for sound, which must be decoded (usually to PCM/LPCM) for, the Digital to Analogue Converter.  Its the actual sound (or clothes in the suitcase), that gives us the pleasure 🙂

Hope This Helps

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Oct 16, 2016

@Squadie wrote:

Dolby or DTS are containers to compress Digital sound, think of them like a suit case, they may hold the exact same clothes but packed in different ways so, some clothes may be more creased than others, once unpacked.  PCM or LPCM will be like going on Holiday without a suitcase and carrying all your clothes over your arm 🙂

The above codecs are not special sound effect, they are just containers for sound, which must be decoded (usually to PCM/LPCM) for, the Digital to Analogue Converter.  Its the actual sound (or clothes in the suitcase), that gives us the pleasure 🙂

Hope This Helps

@SquadieOk. Guess I'm curious to know which one between the 3 (DTS, PCM, Dolby Digital) do you or would you use? And why?

Highlighted
Leader
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

I use uncompressed LPCM over normal Dolby or DTS due to them being lossy codecs. PS4 set for LPCM 7.1 channel.
For Dolby True HD or DTS HD Master, these are lossless codecs so, you should hear the same quality from either compared to LPCM.
Sky Q set to Dolby +, broadcasts over the air, at the moment cannot support the bandwidth required for LPCM (multi channel), only PCM (stereo).
Given the choice of Dolby 2.0 or PCM, the latter will win for me due to not being compressed.
Hope this helps