Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clary
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2017

Lifestyle 18 Series III Home Entertainment System

I purchased this system in 2005.  Doesn't have a lot of "bells and whistles," but it has great sound quality and has served me well.  I recently switched to Spectrum cable TV.  Whenever I switch my system to "Cable/Satellite, there is a loud buzzing in the background.  No buzzing in any other mode.  Is there any sort of filter I can install in my cable TV line to eliminate this (or any other solution)?  I have tried mounting lead collars on the line, and they accomplish nothing.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Irina_I

Re: Lifestyle 18 Series III Home Entertainment System

Author Accepted Answer selected by Clary

Hello Clary, 

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted about whether this solves your issue or not! 

Kind regards, 

Irina

Ressentez et agissez plus intensément
Vous êtes nouveau sur la communauté Bose ? Jetez un œil à notre Code de Conduite afin de trouver des conseils utiles pour vous aider à démarrer ! Et n'oubliez pas de consulter les améliorations que nous avons apportés aux nouveaux classements et récompenses communautaires!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Clary, 

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. Curiously, does this happen regardless of what channel you are on? Can you check the Spectrum box to see if there is an option to adjust and raise the output level? If this box has a variable output, setting it too low could result in a buzz like you are describing. What type of connection are you using from the Spectrum box to your media center? Is it optical, digital coax or red and white RCAs? Can you check the connections to make sure each it is connected securely? If that doesn't work, can you try to unplug power to the Bose media center and Spectrum box for a solid minute and re-test? If you still have the issue, locate the coaxial cable (the line coming into the house). Disconnect it from the first device to which it connects (cable box, VCR or DVR etc.) The hum or interference should go away. If it does, a coaxial ground loop isolator is needed. You could give a call to your local service group to see if this is still available. If you go to the site HERE, select your country, scroll down to "Contact Us", you should see their phone number. Ask for part number 251764 and see if it's still available. Please let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you 

Clary
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2017

As you suggested, disconnecting the cable from the cable box made the hum disappear.  After doing a fair amount of online research, I agree with you that a coaxial ground loop isolator is needed.  I ordered one online.  Not expensive.  It should arrive in a few days.  I'll post the result when I install it.  Thank you very much for your comprehensive reply.  Very helpful.

Irina_I

Author Accepted Answer selected by Clary

Hello Clary, 

Thank you for the update! Please keep us posted about whether this solves your issue or not! 

Kind regards, 

Irina

Ressentez et agissez plus intensément
Vous êtes nouveau sur la communauté Bose ? Jetez un œil à notre Code de Conduite afin de trouver des conseils utiles pour vous aider à démarrer ! Et n'oubliez pas de consulter les améliorations que nous avons apportés aux nouveaux classements et récompenses communautaires!

View solution in original post

Clary
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2017

Ground loop isolator solved the problem. Easy and inexpensive. Thank you very much.
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Clary, 

That is great to hear! Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you