Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LAOPESILLO
Contributor
Registered since

May 3, 2017

Lifestyle 28 Series III DVD player skipping after 40-50 minutes of playing

I had my Lifestyle serviced by Bose here in Europe (Spring 2015) after I acidently fried it for not checking my dual power voltage power supply after moving back to Germany.  The unit casing returned damaged but everything worked again, until just about a month ago.  Now the CD player starts to skip after 40-50 minutes of playing.  I have used a DVD cleaner religiously after four to five movies or 13-15 hours of play time since 2009 when I purchased it.  The CD player has also made a loud clicking sound at times but it is not doing this anymore.  Sometime I can get about 1 hour to a whole movie without it skipping.  It is hit or miss using my Lifestyle Multimedia player.  One thing I noticed is if I pause the DVD during the movie it starts skipping even sooner, so I try to not pause while watching anything.  Anyone else experience this?  Are there any other solutions where it does not involve replacing the CD unit inside the devide?  Should I personally replace the CD player or have Bose have a crack at it again?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LAOPESILLO
Contributor
Registered since

May 3, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 28 Series III DVD player skipping after 40-50 minutes of playing

Author Accepted Answer selected by LAOPESILLO

Well Brent_B, 

I tried the fan near the unit to keep it cool and it worked for an extra time, but eventually it started skipping.  Then on another day tried again without the cooling fan and right at 43 minutes it starts skipping.  Then if you allow it to continue it will skip forward minutes at a time in the film/chapters, eventually reaching the end of the DVD.  Bose still has not responded to my technical support request/inquiry as expected.  I think it is time to look for another brand and quit trying to get support from this company anymore.

Huge let down!!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Brent_B
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi LAOPESILLO, 

My apologies that you are experiencing this. The first thing I would try is unplugging the media center from power for 60 seconds. If this is being caused by a software issue, a reset could correct it. Is the media center situated in a location where it is enclosed? I ask because it almost sounds like this may be thermal related since the issue only occurs after 40 minutes of use. Is there anyway to adjust the location of the media center to increase air flow and see if that helps? 

Thank you 

LAOPESILLO
Contributor
Registered since

May 3, 2017

Thanks for the reply, I have done the power cord reset numerous times and it still does it.  The console is on a glass shelf in free open space.  Never had any heating issues before.  But will try to watch a movie now with a fan on it to see if it's a heating issue (not joking will actually do this).  But it will also start skipping earlier if I pause the movie or change the chapter at any given time before the times mentioned on the subject line.  

I wrote to the technical support of Bose with more details of the issue and they have yet to respond, it has been well over 96 hours and still no reply.  I just wish to get this fixed to be able to watch movies without any issues and not to not want to watch a movie because of the issue.

Again thanks for the advice will try it and comment on it later...

LAOPESILLO
Contributor
Registered since

May 3, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by LAOPESILLO

Well Brent_B, 

I tried the fan near the unit to keep it cool and it worked for an extra time, but eventually it started skipping.  Then on another day tried again without the cooling fan and right at 43 minutes it starts skipping.  Then if you allow it to continue it will skip forward minutes at a time in the film/chapters, eventually reaching the end of the DVD.  Bose still has not responded to my technical support request/inquiry as expected.  I think it is time to look for another brand and quit trying to get support from this company anymore.

Huge let down!!!

View solution in original post