Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jlj123
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2020

Lifestyle 28 - dying remote or worse?

Hello all.

We've had our Bose Lifestyle 28 system for a long, long time now.

The only real issue we've ever had, until recently, is having to unplug the unit and plug it back in to get it to respond to the remote/power on. I've written that off long ago as power anomalies, and it has never really been a big deal.

Recently, though, we've started having another issue. The remote becomes unresponsive, or works intermittently.

Searching online and these forums, I found out the procedures for resetting/relearning the House Code, moving the manual pins in the remote to create a new House Code, etc.

I'll get it working for a few days, and then it decides to crap out again.

It never really shows the correct House Code when I relearn it. The pin positions are off on the display, and don't reflect what the pin positions are in the remote. However, it will eventually work for a few days and then nothing.

It happened again this weekend, and I decided to open up the remote unit to see if I could find a de-soldered component or some kind of spill gumming up the board, or anything out of the ordinary, really.

There were no obvious problems. I went ahead and cleaned the circuitry with alcohol (I didn't clean the back sides of the plastic/rubber pushbuttons because I saw a video about their conductive ink.)

After reassembling, it still would only work occasionally.

I had been re-learning the House Code by using the volume button on the remote, and decided to try different buttons. I discovered that some buttons were sending out different House Codes than others during the re-learn procedure.

Somewhat puzzled, I found one that eventually worked. As of typing this, the remote seems to still be working okay.

I guess my question/concern is this: Do I need to buy a new remote (very expensive for a remote) or is something likely wrong with the receiver end of the system? Or, is there something else that could be going on?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessie_O

Re: Lifestyle 28 - dying remote or worse?

Author Accepted Answer selected by jlj123

Hey Jlj123, 

Thank you for trying all these great steps to get your system up and running correctly. It sounds as if you have tried everything we would usually recommend for this issue. 

I'm glad to hear that, at the moment, everything seems to be working correctly. If the issue resurfaces, we would usually recommend a replacement remote control as you have tried all the steps already. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Jessie_O

Re: Lifestyle 28 - dying remote or worse?

Author Accepted Answer selected by jlj123

Hey Jlj123, 

Thank you for trying all these great steps to get your system up and running correctly. It sounds as if you have tried everything we would usually recommend for this issue. 

I'm glad to hear that, at the moment, everything seems to be working correctly. If the issue resurfaces, we would usually recommend a replacement remote control as you have tried all the steps already. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post