Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robbie D
Participant
Registered since

Dec 11, 2020

Lifestyle 48 multi room help

I’ve moved into a house with a lifestyle 48 installed. Managed to get the TV hooked up via the optical cable. All good. I can also get CDs, aux etc through into the main room. 

But there are Bose 161 speakers in other rooms, and I can’t work out how to get them going. There are remotes for 2/3 of these extra rooms (1 x RC38T1-40 and 1 x RC48S2-40). Should they just work as they are? What are the obvious things to check? My understanding is that the setup worked for previous owners, and things have been left as they are. 

All I need is for these rooms to play the aux input (wireless receiver). But how? What’s the power button on the remote supposed to be affecting? How does it all work together? Any help/advice gratefully received. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Charlotte_G

Re: Lifestyle 48 multi room help

Author Accepted Answer selected by Robbie D

@Robbie D Great, thanks for checking that! So I'd recommend going through this one room at a time. The first thing to do is to ensure that you have a BoseLink cable connected. Then you'll want to make sure each remote is associated with an SA-3 with the correct room codes. 

1. Remove the battery cover from the back of the remote
  2. Switches 1-4 (house code) must match the Main Room remote
  3. Switch 5 determines the audio stream that plays in the expansion room. The down position selects Audio Stream 1; the up position selects Audio Stream 2
  4. Switches 6-9 determines the Room Code. Set the position of these switches to match the Room Code of the expansion product to be controlled
  5. Replace the battery cover.

Here's the Room Code settings chart.

You did mention that you only had 2 additional remotes. You won't be able to set up a 3rd room without a remote. You may want to explore eBay or similar to find one, as we no longer sell these due to the age of the system. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Charlotte_G

Hey @Robbie D, welcome to the Bose Community! 

I'd love to help get your multiroom system up and running in your new home. It's a great sign that your Lifestyle 48 is working so let's continue by establishing exactly what your setup consists of.

Could you let me know what the 161 speakers are connected to in each of the rooms along with the LED status of the systems?

Whilst you are investigating this, ensure that all cables are in good condition and connected firmly.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Robbie D
Participant
Registered since

Dec 11, 2020

Hi Charlotte

Thanks for getting back to me. There are 3 SA-3 amps alongside the main system, with wires going through the walls. Wires look good as far as I can tell. Each of these has a slow flashing green light. 

Charlotte_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by Robbie D

@Robbie D Great, thanks for checking that! So I'd recommend going through this one room at a time. The first thing to do is to ensure that you have a BoseLink cable connected. Then you'll want to make sure each remote is associated with an SA-3 with the correct room codes. 

1. Remove the battery cover from the back of the remote
  2. Switches 1-4 (house code) must match the Main Room remote
  3. Switch 5 determines the audio stream that plays in the expansion room. The down position selects Audio Stream 1; the up position selects Audio Stream 2
  4. Switches 6-9 determines the Room Code. Set the position of these switches to match the Room Code of the expansion product to be controlled
  5. Replace the battery cover.

Here's the Room Code settings chart.

You did mention that you only had 2 additional remotes. You won't be able to set up a 3rd room without a remote. You may want to explore eBay or similar to find one, as we no longer sell these due to the age of the system. 

View solution in original post

Robbie D
Participant
Registered since

Dec 11, 2020

Thanks! The amps all seem to be in sequence, and the link wiring wasn’t right. I’ve only focussed on one room for now, as another room isn’t being used, and the final amp is for outside, and I’m in England in December. I’ll sort those later. But for now, I have the kitchen working, so thank you very much! 

Maybe I’ll be back in touch in spring!