Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sanderbouveroux
Participant
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

Lifestyle 50 still useful?

Hi all

My father in law upgraded to a Lifestyle 650 recently so I took his old Lifestyle 50 because I could use decent sound in the living room. With that in mind, I still have alot of questions hoping that you guys can help me..

1) The big screen remote doesn't work anymore. (the main reason why my father in law upgraded) Do I need this remote to use the system? I'm only looking for a decent surround system in the living room. No need for extra functionality like CD player of multiroom sound.

2) Can I hook the system up to a receiver? Is this only possible using RCA? Lower quality of sound in comparison with digital sound?

3) All the wires to the speakers are cut. This because my father in law had speaker cables running through the walls. Can I still purchase these via Bose directly?

4) Maybe my main question, is it still useful to invest in a system this old? Keep in mind I need to buy a new receiver? Maybe I'm better of buying a soundbar?

Thank you in advance guys! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Vicky_W

Re: Lifestyle 50 still useful?

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sanderbouveroux

Hello Sanderbouveroux, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

You are correct, you will be unable to use the system without a remote. But if you have all of the parts, and the system was working previously. Purchasing a new remote should enable you to use the system. 

I am glad I was able to assist you and if once you have purchased the remote you need more help please just reply on this thread and I would be more than happy to get you all set up and enjoying the Bose quality audio in your home. 

Have a wonderful week. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Vicky_W

Hello Sanderbouveroux, 

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am glad to hear that you are now the proud owner of a Bose LifeStyle 50 System, I would love to help to get you set up!

To answer your questions: 

1. We no longer sell the remote for the system, but you are able to purchase an IR converter here that will allow you control the system with a single Pronto® or Harmony 880 or greater learning remote control. 
  2.  Can I please ask what components you have as the receiver is built into the system so we would need to ensure that you have this to allow the system to work. We do not support external receivers with these systems as they may break the system as it was designed to work as one unit altogether. 
  3. You are able to purchase new wires by calling Bose Support in your region.
  4. We cannot comment on this but we do have a range of Home Theater Systems available here. And a range of Soundbars available here. 

I hope this information helps and I look forward to hearing back from you about the receiver. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W - Community Support 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Sanderbouveroux
Participant
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

Hi Vicky

Thanks for helping me out here!

1. Without remote it's not possible to operate the system I suppose? My main purpose is to use this system as a Home cinema. No more, no less. 

2. For the components, I do have everything.. The CD player, the multi-room interface and the speakers.. 

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Check on eBay.  You might find a complete used system with remote and wires.  I would not spend much trying to get this going.  However, I'm sure the sound will be great if you can.

EDIT:  I just looked on eBay.  I think you can find anything you need there.

Vicky_W

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sanderbouveroux

Hello Sanderbouveroux, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

You are correct, you will be unable to use the system without a remote. But if you have all of the parts, and the system was working previously. Purchasing a new remote should enable you to use the system. 

I am glad I was able to assist you and if once you have purchased the remote you need more help please just reply on this thread and I would be more than happy to get you all set up and enjoying the Bose quality audio in your home. 

Have a wonderful week. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

View solution in original post

Sanderbouveroux
Participant
Registered since

Jun 10, 2019

Hi all

I contacted the local Bose dealer and he had some spare remote controls. Thank you for your information!

Don Volner
Participant
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Hi I have been looking for a P1 personal music center remote, which Bose store did you find them at?

Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@Xyz987 wrote:

Check on eBay.  You might find a complete used system with remote and wires.  I would not spend much trying to get this going.  However, I'm sure the sound will be great if you can.

EDIT:  I just looked on eBay.  I think you can find anything you need there.

Vrungel
Participant
Registered since

Nov 22, 2020

Hello Vicky, 

This thread is relevant to me as well. I have Lifestyle 50 system that worked well until the remote broke. I followed the link in your post and it seems that this converter is discontinued. Any advice? Hate to throw away the system I really like and was enjoying past 20 years. 

Thank you,

Oleg

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Vrungel wrote:

Hello Vicky, 

This thread is relevant to me as well. I have Lifestyle 50 system that worked well until the remote broke. I followed the link in your post and it seems that this converter is discontinued. Any advice? Hate to throw away the system I really like and was enjoying past 20 years. 

Thank you,

Oleg

There is another way to control your Lifestyle 50 without using the Bose remote. I talk about it in this post where I go through the best ways to use a Lifestyle CD receiver with modern TV's.

Basically, there is a paid-for app for a phone or tablet that would allow you to control your receiver using a special network controller, a converter, and an RS232 to mini-jack that plugs into the data port on the back of your receiver. All the information about this is found on this website.

As you point out, the Audio Authority C-1024A IR Converter (which allows you to use a universal IR remote for Bose LS 20, 25, 30, 40 and 50 systems) is discontinued. Though you can still find some still on sale. Even for a similar price to what they were sold for by Audio Authority (which isn't cheap). This looks to be a simple solution.

I hope that this helps answer your question 🙂