Highlighted
LMills259
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Lifestyle 535 - Setup for 5.1 audio from 4K UHD TV

I would like to use my Lifestyle 535 for 5.1 audio only, from my Samsung NU8000 UHD TV.

That is, in order to enjoy UHD video, the TV is to be the "master" and the Bose system the "slave" that is providing 5.1 sound only.

So I would like to use the HDMI (ARC) output from the TV, input into the LifeStyle 535.  But there's no  input labled "HDMI (ARC)" on the 535.  Should I use the "Video output" HDMI, even though I don't want video to pass through the 535?  Or some other connection?  I strongly prefer ARC to the digital optical, because I'd like to control the Bose 535 volume through the TV's remote.  Again, this must be 5.1 audio.

And for this configuration, what should I expect to see on the Bose "Source" screen?  (My blu-ray, internet, and cable would now plug into the TV, not the 535.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 535 - Setup for 5.1 audio from 4K UHD TV

Author Accepted Answer selected by LMills259

I use a Harmony 880 programmable remote to control everything.  It works much better and easier than trying to use any of the other remotes.  It is no longer available, but I recently bought a new one on Amazon.  I'm sure there are newer models that work just as well.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Your TV can only send digital audio out via HDMI ARC and/or optical.  I would first try using your TV's HDMI ARC and plug into the Bose HDMI.  That should allow the TV to send sound to the Bose which will be decoded as 5.1.  If that won't work, you'll need to use optical from the TV to the Bose.  That will also send the digital sound signal to the Bose to be decoded as 5.1.  Neither of these connections will send information from the Bose to the TV.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@LMills259 wrote:

I would like to use my Lifestyle 535 for 5.1 audio only, from my Samsung NU8000 UHD TV.

That is, in order to enjoy UHD video, the TV is to be the "master" and the Bose system the "slave" that is providing 5.1 sound only.

So I would like to use the HDMI (ARC) output from the TV, input into the LifeStyle 535.  But there's no  input labled "HDMI (ARC)" on the 535.  Should I use the "Video output" HDMI, even though I don't want video to pass through the 535?  Or some other connection?  I strongly prefer ARC to the digital optical, because I'd like to control the Bose 535 volume through the TV's remote.  Again, this must be 5.1 audio.

And for this configuration, what should I expect to see on the Bose "Source" screen?  (My blu-ray, internet, and cable would now plug into the TV, not the 535.)

I have this TV and have experimented with all the settings...there are many!

I generally steer away from ARC and CEC for a number of reasons, mostly related to multiple users in my household not wanting the extra Bose sound. ARC and CEC reliability are an issue too.  

Audio Return Channel (ARC) is not available on the 535. As such you will not be able to use HDMI for audio in any circumstance. I beleive  Consumer Electronics Control (CEC) is built into the 535 however. This only gives you control over the on - off, volume controls and some other functions but not audio return.

There is a way to control all your components with the Samsung smart remote without using ARC CEC however. Connect all your components the TV using the HDMI ports, that will take care of your video requirements. I have made a couple posts regarding the Samsung 8000 series and 4K that focuses on the 4K cable issue if you are interested.

For audio, connect the 535 to the TV using an optical connection. You will get Dolby 5.1 in the process. In the audio section of the TV, select audio> expert>speakers>external or something to that effect. On the TV’s home bar go to “remote” setup and pair the Samsung remote to the 535. Fact is, the remote is very smart and will pair to most of your devices quite nicely. You might want to experiment with CEC. Samsung calls it “AnyNet” if you are curious. I don’t think the feature is required though.

If you are successful, you should be able to run the TV, your 535 and your other components with the little Samsung remote. This configuration (direct to the tv) will also help you workaround the lack of 4K upscaling as far as the 535 goes.

On the Bose 535 console you will see “TV” because I beleive that is where the optical audio port is active by default. On the Samsung TV you will see all the components when properly paired. Samsung has a pretty good component library so you might even see some distinctive component icons. The tool bar is adjustable too. I have my components listed first followed by the different smart apps, some of which are 4K.

Its all pretty cool and has added some 4K life to my aging Cinemate 130.

LMills259
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

I hadn't thought to use the Samsung remote to control the Lifestyle 535 itself.  That's brilliant - thanks.  I'll report back after I do the work.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by LMills259

I use a Harmony 880 programmable remote to control everything.  It works much better and easier than trying to use any of the other remotes.  It is no longer available, but I recently bought a new one on Amazon.  I'm sure there are newer models that work just as well.

View solution in original post

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I have read @Xyz987 posts about Harmony remotes in the past and agree, I think more work should go into the Bose remote database rather than relying on CEC and the varying standards. I think Samsung did a pretty good job with their new remote and I have heard pretty good things about the Harmony remotes as well.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

The beauty of the Harmony 880 is there is no pairing and/or learning involved.  You go to their internet site and find all of your devices and then set up a routine for each activity.  Then, you plug in your remote to your USB port and download the programmed data.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

The beauty of the Harmony 880 is there is no pairing and/or learning involved.  You go to their internet site and find all of your devices and then set up a routine for each activity.  Then, you plug in your remote to your USB port and download the programmed data.

I found with the Samsung remote there wasn’t any codes involved, at least not apparent to me. It seemed to be pretty automatic. You can fine tune the remote by accessing the remote icon on the tool bar. It seemed simpler than other remotes I have used. 

LMills259
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

It turns out the Bose doesn't do HDMI (ARC).  But the digital optical output from the TV feeds into it, and I went with that part of the setup.  See later in this thread for the rest of the solution - Harmony remote controls.

LMills259
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

With the optical digital output from TV to Bose, you are correct; Bose considers this the TV input, in the absence of other input.  By "other input" I mean any video signal from the TV into the Bose (which was what I needed to avoid, else suffer the downgrade to 1080p).  I do have an HDMI out from the Bose up to the TV, so that its menu displays etc can show on the TV.  It was essential that I disable the Samsung TV's "Anynet+" a.k.a. HDMI CEC, otherwise I had conflicting signals.  But that still left me with clumsy volume control, because I needed the Bose remote for that. (No such fancy signal comes down the optical cable from the TV.)  For the rest of the solution, see my comments later in this thread, concerning the Harmony universal remote.