subrasri
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2017

Lifestyle 600 audio settings

Hi . Wanted to understand the difference between audio settings Direct and Normal? What's the recommended setting for most cases like music and movies? Is there any manual/release notes online where I can understand these settings?

Also is there a recommended bass/treble setting for best sound output? I am trying out different settings for a sharp bass response (not boomy) and rich sound. This am trying after calibrating my system yesterday. Have placed my subwoofer over a left corner same side as my TV. Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
dvanderloon
Participant
Registered since

Apr 19, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 600 audio settings

I have the Bose Lifestyle 600 and I've been using "direct" for every source. Although one time while casting a show to our Chromecast using Playstation Vue, I noticed I had to turn the volume up to 50 to get it to sound decently loud which is normally VERY loud. I changed it temporarily to "normal" and the volume actually got somewhat louder for some reason. We were watching a 3 part Casey Anthony Documentary so maybe it just had a bad soundtrack. However, while casting Spotify Premium, the music sounds louder and fuller when I have it set to "Direct". I too would like to know exactly what "Normal" does. I would assume "Direct" means there's no decoding done on the Bose console. This I would think would give you the highest sound quality compared to "normal" so long as the source properly decodes it before it reaches the Bose console. I was also wondering if using "direct" for blu rays will allow the blu ray player to do all the decoding vs the Bose console. I'd prefer this because I notice the Bose console only decodes Dolby True but it does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio. A lot of blu Ray discs use DTS-HD Master Audio and almost all blu ray players will decode this audio format as well. I would like to hear a formal answer from Bose on the OP's question before I would assume anything. 

subrasri
Collaborator
Registered since

Mar 31, 2017

Thanks dvanderloon for sharing your thoughts.  Agree we need to hear official answer from Bose experts.  The other day I was surprised to see Lifestyle 600 playing 7.1 dolby digital plus surround sound via my Apple TV.  Didn't know it can play 7.1 tracks.  I also notice "Direct" to sound more louder especially while playing music.  I am currently playing everything via Normal as I thought Normal would mean Bose would try and play all tracks in its 5.1 format.

Squadie
Mentor
Registered since

Apr 4, 2017

I also have the bose on direct, to me, normal uses bose dsp (digital sound processing), on par with dolby pro logic. which is fine for stereo sound to come out has 5.1. With my blue ray, I have the option to turn DTS HD AUDIO into LPCM hence, the player is carrying out the decoding so the bose is getting a pure lossless LPCM, the same quality has dts hd audio master.