Highlighted
psychodad
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2017

Lifestyle 650 - Bug - No sound from UHD-Player

Hi,

Some days ago I replaced my old Bluray player with the UHD-Player Panasonic DP-UB824EGK and I noticed that the Lifestyle has a problem with the sound output from this player (no sound). My setup: The player has two HDMI outputs, one for video+audio and one for audio only. The first one is directly connected to my TV, the latter to port HDMI2 on the Lifestyle. The Lifestyle has latest firmware installed, the player too (1.47), CEC is disabled in all devices. The problem occurs if the Lifestyle is turned on and no other HDMI port with an active source was selected before switching to HDMI2, e.g. starting directly on HDMI2.

I found a workaround to make the sound working again by switching to another active source port on the Lifestyle and the switching back to HDMI2. This helps 90%, but sometimes I must even powercycle the Lifestyle prior to this.

What does NOT help:

- Turn on Lifestyle before player

- Turn on player before Lifestyle

- Powercycle Lifestyle and/or player

I suppose the problem occurs, because the player sends audio only and if this is the first selected source after a Lifestyle powercyle something fails to initialize correctly.

The source audio info screen on the remote shows crap like "2.0" in this case. If sounds works correctly it displays somethink like "1080i  DTS  5.1".

I hope my explanations are clear for you and help to fix this bug.

Best regards

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Re: Lifestyle 650 - Bug - No sound from UHD-Player

Hello psychodad,

I am sorry to hear that's happening, but am happy to help. I suspect the problem is the audio only connection to HDMI 2 on your media console. Have you connected the HDMI(ARC) port on your TV to the HDMI output of the Lifestyle media console? You wouldn't need to use the audio only HDMI connection then.

If your TV does not have ARC, try connecting the optical audio output from the DVD player to the one of the optical inputs on the media console and see if that functions as intended. In this case the DVD player would need to be connected directly to the TV via HDMI for video. 

Let us know if that works better for you! 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

Highlighted
psychodad
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2017

Hello Greg,

thanks for your reply. Using an optical cable or HDMI ARC is not an option for me as both connection types do not allow transfering HD audio (Dolby TrueHD) or Multichannel PCM.

The last two days I spent several hours to find the problem.

Short story:

HDMI1 on the LS console is the ONLY port which works reliable and has never problems with any connected device (for me). Connecting the same devices (with the same cable) to HDMI ports 2-5 will result almost always in errors like: no hdmi signal, pink screeen, no sound. As described in my initial post, switching to another source and then back fixes the problems in most cases, but sometimes the LS must be restarted, too.

Long story:

I disconnected all devices but the TV from the console and then tested each device one after another on every single HDMI port on the console.

All the devices were powered on and playing some movie for the tests. The TV is on, and CEC is disabled everywhere. I tested another cable too of course (premium certified).

Each test consisted of the following steps:

- Turn off LS

- Connect a device to one of the HDMI ports on LS

- Turn on LS on this HDMI port

These are my findings:

Panasonic DP-UB824EGK (4K output, this time I connected the video/audio signal to the console, not the audio only one): HDMI1: ok, all other ports: no HDMI signal

Panasonic DP-UB824EGK (forcing 1080p output on the player): HDMI1: ok, all other ports: no HDMI signal

Philips BDP-7500: HDMI1 ok, all other ports: pink screen and no sound

Steam Link: HDMI1 ok, all other ports: no sound

Amazon Fire Stick: HDMI1 ok, all other ports: no sound

VU+ DUO2: HDMI1+2 ok, all other ports: pink screen, no sound

As you can clearly see the LS has some heavy problems with it's HDMI ports 2-5. Please forward this issue to the developers so they can fix this.

Regards

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Jun 6, 2018

Hello psychodad,

Thanks for the very detailed troubleshooting! You should not be getting errors like that on all but one HDMI port. It sounds like your console needs to be serviced. I'd recommend contacting Customer Support for available service options. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us".

I appreciate the time you spent researching the issue. Best of luck! 

Best Regards,

Greg

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Jack_General,

Thank you for posting.

We've replied to you HERE

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support