shahramsherazi
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 13, 2019

Re: Lifestyle 650 HDR Problems

This is not an HDMI issue its a software issue. I have bypassed the bose console the HDR works fine. Its the problem with console software which Bose said they are working on it. So again its not an HDMI cable issue. 

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

You guys need to check the below thread out. This problem pops up about every year and consumes a whole new group of people’s lives until they move on and then the cycle repeats. Bottom line - the 4K/HDr pass through does not work. Only two solutions: 1) get rid of it, or 2) by-pass the pass through and use console only for audio.  I chose #2 and am really happy with the sound, although still annoyed overall with Bose. Bose knows this is a problem, they know they can’t fix it, and they know they are fooling everyone with the whole ‘passed to engineering’ storyline. 

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Archive/Lifestyles-650-and-SoundTouch-300-Green-Vertical-Line-on-Edge-of/td-p/108115
dlmichie52
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

Thanks, I have seen messages that say input not compatible, then I turn off everything and turn it back on and it works fine. Still hoping for perfection because it’s so expensive 

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If I had a Bose Lifestyle 650, I would just use it as a 5.1 surround sound system.  I don't see any reason to use it for video if your TV has sufficient HDMI in's.

JB1970
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 4, 2017

I was recently contacted by admin asking if I'd like a beta (then alpha) firmware applying to my account as I have the pink screen issue.

Unfortunately I can confirm that after applying this update the problem remains.  Annoyingly it is worse now as previously I could simply switch the TV off/on or switch inputs to correct the problem.  Now I'm having to switch the Bose console off/on to correct the picture.

From the system info the version is "11. LPM1.15.3.12544: 2019-07-26T17:09:23 (Release)"

JB1970
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 4, 2017

@Xyz987 wrote:

If I had a Bose Lifestyle 650, I would just use it as a 5.1 surround sound system.  I don't see any reason to use it for video if your TV has sufficient HDMI in's.

Hmm

Methinks you're missing the point.  I bought a system for £ 4000 that details 4K pass through as a feature of the system.  I and others assumed that this was a feature of the video system and not related to the wasted £4K that was passing through my wallet to Bose.

My TV (and nearly all current TV's) have no more than 4 HDMI inputs.  The pass through feature was one of the main reasons I purchased the Bose 650 to replace my fully functional, working as advertised Bose 28 Version 2.  This was to simplify wiring, reduce clutter and simplify switching between sources without a myriad of different remote controls (I use a Harmony universal remote but these are not perfect and reduce functionality)

The issue remains unresolved by Bose after being introduced around 10 months ago and is unacceptable to most people who are affected.

Bose detail in their specifications for the system a feature which does not perform as designed, detailed, advertised.

sunster
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2018

Thanks to this forum I saved 350000 Rupees (4900 USD) which is the price for the LS650 in India. When you pay through your nose for a system you expect perfection and then some. Its ridiculous to compromise after paying for a system which is both expensive and elite (supposedly). When we buy a LS 650 we expect everything to work out of the box. HDMI ARC, Video Signal etc are all basic things that noone even thinks would go wrong let alone on such a system. I was almost on the verge of buying it for my bedroom since I liked the small form factor of the system and also i know there are some engineering marvels at work with Bose products but reading on this topic and even inquiring with the Bose Store officials who had vague replies on inquiring about the video issues i have decided to stay away from Bose products for now. As a side note I had purchased a Soundtouch 300 with Am300 and sold it in a few months. the sound just did not appeal to me. I am going for a soundbar from Sony which sounds wayyyy better and is more custommizable etc and at a lower cost. I know Bose makes products with a certain clientile in mind but they need to get to speed with their products and troubleshooting. Otherwise we are looking at another Apple in the making !!

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

I think you nailed it. Bose could have definitely done better with the video pass through on this system. The most difficult thing to understand is how long they’ve let it persist without an admission.

Bose does have some smart people and to think they don’t know by now that the problem can’t be fixed with a patch is just rediculous. I’ll say what I’ve been saying all along and that is that the problem is in the materials somewhere, otherwise this would have been fixed already.  Having said that though it’s hard to believe they are still knowingly selling defective product.

It would be nice if they come out with a truly fixed console if they would at least offer it to those that have spent so much time in this forum with no resolution.

It sounds good though once you by-pass the video.  

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@JB1970 wrote:

@Xyz987 wrote:

Hmm

Methinks you're missing the point.  I bought a system for £ 4000 that details 4K pass through as a feature of the system.  I and others assumed that this was a feature of the video system and not related to the wasted £4K that was passing through my wallet to Bose.

My TV (and nearly all current TV's) have no more than 4 HDMI inputs.  The pass through feature was one of the main reasons I purchased the Bose 650 to replace my fully functional, working as advertised Bose 28 Version 2.  This was to simplify wiring, reduce clutter and simplify switching between sources without a myriad of different remote controls (I use a Harmony universal remote but these are not perfect and reduce functionality)

The issue remains unresolved by Bose after being introduced around 10 months ago and is unacceptable to most people who are affected.

Bose detail in their specifications for the system a feature which does not perform as designed, detailed, advertised.

No, I am not missing the point.  If I purchase something that did not work as advertised, I would return it within the allowable return period.  However, if I owned a Bose Lifestyle 600/650 beyond the return period and it would not pass the video properly, I would plug all my devices into my TV and use the Bose for audio only, and stop crying about the money I spent.  It is a sound system and functions perfectly as a sound system.

psychodad
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 16, 2017

I think you overlooked that many TVs cannot passthrough 5.1 DD or DTS. It will be converted to 2.0 pcm. HD Audio formats or multichannel pcm cannot be transfered via hdmi arc/optical connection too. So in the end you will have a $4000 STEREO audio system following your advice.