Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 650 HDR Problems

@psychodad wrote:

Me thinks you overlooked that many TVs cannot passthrough 5.1 DD or DTS. It will be converted to 2.0 pcm. HD Audio formats or multichannel pcm cannot be transfered via hdmi arc/optical connection too. So in the end you will have a $4000 STEREO audio system following your advice.

Only if you have an old, obsolete TV.  The Bose Lifestyle 650 is a 5.1 system not 7.1 or Dolby Atmos.

Egwor
Participant
Registered since

May 29, 2019

After updating the system last night I had to do a full system reset. Sound worked but not display (for stuff that was working previously -- pretty unbelievable). Even setup had stopped displaying anything!

I think that maybe they've fixed it, but I was so mad that I wasted 45 minutes restarting things and resetting things to try and get it sorted. Here are the reset instructions for the Bose that I was sent when debugging the other issues...

A reset is used to correct occasional product issues. It is not something that a product should require repeatedly.
Perform a system reset by following these steps:
Keep the TV and control console on
  1. On the control console, press and hold Source and Power for five seconds. The TV and the console will turn off.
  2. Release the buttons. The white LED on the console should turn off; If it didn't, perform the step above again.
  3. An amber LED will blink once. After this occurs press Power to turn on the system. The LED will flash amber then white while the system turns on and reboots.
  4. Wait 10 seconds after the LED stays solid white before retesting the system.
Marius
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

My Bose 650 is suffering from the same problem. I have the newest Samsung TV Q9, the ULTRA BLACK Monster cables (22mbit), PS4 Pro, ATV 4K etc. 

HDR passthrough is not working. The signal seems to be weak from the Bose itself.

Bose, will a return for service help with this problem?

Do you have other customers that successfully got HDR to work? 

dlmichie52
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 24, 2019

I replaced my HDMI cables - I originally use HDMI Optic Fiber cables because I had a $3000 tv and a $4000 BOSE 650 and wanted the best available HDMI cable. After numerous problems I just replace the cable. I still had the problem and did a complete system reset. I did it twice and now only occasionally have the problem. Now I just turn everything off and turn everything back on and it seems to work correctly. Pain, but I do get great sound and HDR. I do use Amazon Fire CUBE and Apple instead of the apps on my TV. I like the ability to just tell Alexa to turn on TV. I haven't used apps on tv at all.

Marius
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

Interesting, 

How long are your cables? Mine are 5m and I am thinking of trying out optical HDMI. But since you’ve already tried that out, I am still wondering what to do. 
Any suggestions of HDMI brand?

mheninger
Enthusiast
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

It's now been over one year and this issues is still not resolved.  Unbelievable. Come on BOSE, this needs to be fixed or our systems need to be replaced. Does anyone actually have a 650 system and they do NOT experience these 4k HDR passthrough issues with an AppleTV 4k?  If so, how is that possible when so many of us are having problems? I'd really like to know what is being done, if anything.  I keep being told they are working on the issue, but seriously, for a full year with no resolve? 

Marius
Contributor
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

I have had this system for 2 years.

4K HDR is still not not working. I have tried 3 different cables, reset, restart, sw-update etc....

Any solutions? 

JaymeW
Advocate
Registered since

Dec 23, 2017

Check the old threads. This problem is as old as the console.  There are threads about the green line and 4K pass through issues going back about three years. The threads are like weeds to Bose, probably annoying but not the end of the world. They treat them all the same... ‘ask what type of gear you use?’, ‘what type of cables?’, ‘Did you reset?’, ‘Wanna try a beta patch?’, etc etc etc.

Bottom line, the 4K pass through is broke, probably inferior hardware from China, Bose knows it and isn’t going to fix it.

The ONLY way to get rid of your issues is to bypass the 4K pass through and only use the console for audio. Option two, get rid of it. 

Again, check the old threads. 

mpf541
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

I am sure Bose is going to release a new version of this product soon. They might get it right in that version. But I am sure they will not give features that are up to date. I am sure they will include Atmos as is not needed as they do such a good job processing music anyway. 

JB1970
Advocate
Registered since

Oct 4, 2017

This thread has been fairly quiet for a while now, so I thought these issues had been resolved with the firmware update that is detailed at the head of the forum page.  Since that update my issues with pink or green colourcast and no sound have disappeared.  The update has introduced an additional lag of a second or two during the handshake when I switch devices and I occasionally see the pink/green colourcast during the handshake for a fraction of a second.  Other than that my system is passing 4K HDR fine now with no issues.

However I'll be reluctant to accept any further firmware updates after the stress this caused.  As they say - "If it aint broke, don't try to fix it" 🙄