EncoderWhiz
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2017

Lifestyle 650 system, How can I turn OFF the TV Screen when listening to Music

I want to just play music from cable box, or blue tooth etc.

The TV screen keeps turning on automatically as the 650 system shows the white screen with the BOSE logo.

Any idea how to set this up correctly?

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EncoderWhiz
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 650 system, How can I turn OFF the TV Screen when listening to Music

Author Accepted Answer selected by EncoderWhiz

I figured it all out and let you know how I did it:

The main culprit was a poor WiFi connection. 

I relocated the WiFi router to get a better WiFi reception at the LS650 system location. 

Suddenly everything started working. The system is now responsive the remote commands. The setup screen pops up as it should. 

With that I now was able to unify the entire system and set it up as I wanted it.

Now I can also turn off the TV screen using picture off and it will stay off.

My suggestion to Bose is to look into that and try to figure out how a poor WiFi connection can cause this. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Lifestyle 650 system, How can I turn OFF the TV Screen when listening to Music

I'm not familiar with that system or how you have everything connected, of course, but one way would be to use the TV remote and turn off the TV.  I'm sure there is a better way.

EncoderWhiz
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2017

Hello Jimgfjtz,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, of course using the TV remote does work, but within seconds the TV keeps turning ON again. The LS 650 keeps alternating between the white screen with the Bose Logo and no signal. If I disconnect the HDMI cable going from the Bose to the TV then the TV stays off. 

I believe that my LS650 is not function properly. That white screen should probably not cycle on and off like it does.

Is there a detailed instruction manual that describes how the system should function?

all I have is the manual that came with the system.

EncoderWhiz
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by EncoderWhiz

I figured it all out and let you know how I did it:

The main culprit was a poor WiFi connection. 

I relocated the WiFi router to get a better WiFi reception at the LS650 system location. 

Suddenly everything started working. The system is now responsive the remote commands. The setup screen pops up as it should. 

With that I now was able to unify the entire system and set it up as I wanted it.

Now I can also turn off the TV screen using picture off and it will stay off.

My suggestion to Bose is to look into that and try to figure out how a poor WiFi connection can cause this. 

View solution in original post

Xyz987
Expert
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I don't think it's up to Bose to solve people's poor WIFI reception problems.  That's probably why Bose has not seemed more proactive about these issues because for the vast majority of their customers, everything works as it should.  They must know the problem is not their Bose product.

Hoopn44
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2018

My 650 also cycles from the white Bose screen to no signal while listening to music. Any suggestions?
EncoderWhiz
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2017

Once I established good WiFi connection the problems seem to go away. 

It appears that theBose WiFi receiver is not as sensitive as my iPhone - so signal strenght needs to be at least 3 bars on my iPhone in the same location for the issues to disappear.

I agree Bose cannot be responsible for having good WiFi connection. However the system should not misbehave when signal strength is low. Instead the features requiring WiFi should simply not be available.   

Hoopn44
Participant
Registered since

Jan 7, 2018

I think my problem is resolved! When the white Bose screen would cycle, my system was running through the first edition XBox One. This weekend I got a good deal on the new XBox One X so I ended up buying it and replacing the old XBox. Now the Bose screen no longer cycles between no signal and Bose screen. This leads me to believe that maybe signal loss was happening somewhere in the old Xbox? Never the less l, I’m now very happy. The Bose word actually moves across the screen...which I never saw before because of the “signal loss”.
jamendola
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 18, 2019

Bose 650 and sound touch

With all these firmware and software updates for the 650 and SoundTouch,  Bose still has yet to correct the problem of the tv turning on randomly while streaming music!  Why can’t this be fixed?  Not impressed at all!