Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Lifestyle AV18 : Not seeing Bose menu on TV and unable to get TOS ARC to work

I am helping a neighbor solve two problems with his home theatre set up. 

He has a Bose AV18, pretty new Samsung TV (UN65JU670DFXZA), cable box and Blu Ray DVD.

When using smart apps (Netflix, etc.) on his TV he doesn't hear any sound (I believe he does if he manually changes the cabling on the back of his system).

To my mind he needs to connect the TV and Bose unit with a connection that enables ARC and then make the correct settings on both TV and Bose.

This Bose product doesn't support HDMI ARC, it doesn't have HDMI cabling so no go there. However, I undrstand that the optical cable on the Bose DOES support ARC, as well as the analog cables. 

So we ran an optical cable form the Samsung's Optical ARC out to the Optical in connection on the Bose. However, we cannot seem to get this to work. I am unsure where to set the Optical Out ARC on the Samsung but I am pretty sure we can figure that out. 

But we are unable to get the Bose menu to appear on the TV. I have not idea why.

I would really like to help my neighboor and learn more about Bose systems. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Re: Lifestyle AV18 : Not seeing Bose menu on TV and unable to get TOS ARC to work

Hello bryanschmiedeler,

The best way to set this up would be to connect all the devices to the television and run the optical out from the TV to the Lifestyle 18. Then run the video out from the media center to the TV as another input so you can view the settings. 

Participant
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Re: Lifestyle AV18 : Not seeing Bose menu on TV and unable to get TOS ARC to work

This sounds like a good solution to me. I am going to give it a try this weekend.

Bryan