Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 16, 2017

Lifestyle T20 to 4k Conversion

I have a Lifestyle T20 system that I bought back in 2012. Great system, but I've recently updated by TV and DVD player to 4K. I understand that the amp with the T20 system won't work with 4k as it won't pas the 4k signals through, but the rest of the system, namely the speakers and subwoofer, still work fine. Is there a way to update the system to 4k without replacing everything. I thought of getting rid of the Lifestyle control console and replacing it with a standard 4k compatible amplifier, but I'm not sure how to connect my Bose speakers to it since it's a proprietary cable going from the acoustimass module to where the amp would connect. I know you can buy an Acoustimass 6 or 10 speaker system then connect those to any commercial amp, but how do I do that with my T20 cube speakers?

Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: Lifestyle T20 to 4k Conversion

Hi mjd1969,

Thank you for your inquiry. You are correct; the Lifestyle T20 console does not support 4K video resolutions. This system was engineered to be an all-in-one home-theater system. You won't be able to replace the console, and still be able to use the speakers. Here are a couple of reasons why:

• The connection between the Lifestyle console and Acoustimass bass module is proprietary and sends more than just an audio signal. It also sends communications for the system's proprietary software. 
  • The cube speakers connect directly to the Acoustimass bass module, not the console. With most 3rd-party amps/receivers, all speakers connect directly to the receiver. Doing so with the cube speakers would not provide the correct audio signal intended for these speakers, and would risk poor audio and/or damage to the speakers. 

If you are looking to take advantage of 4K video resolutions with your current system, I'd recommend connecting your source devices directly to your TV (cable/satellite receiver, Blu-ray player, gaming consoles, etc.). You could then connect the TV to the Lifestyle console using a digital optical cable. This would allow all sound to be passed to your Lifestyle T20. 

I hope this information helps! Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2017

Hi,

I plan to use the T20 as speaker system connecting to the optical output of the Samsung Smart TV, BUT:

Is there a way to control the T20 with the Samsung Q-series Smart Remote?

Other ways to turn T20 on/off without having to use the Bose Remote? ( want to take advantage of Samsung Smart Hub)

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2017

Hi,

I'll use the T20 as pure audio system with the optical connection to the Samsung Smart Hub. However, I like to also use the Samsung Q-series Smart Remote to control the system. Is there as way to turn on/off the T20 using the Samsung Smart Remote?  Like to avoid using 2 remotes!  

Thanks,

Karl

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Sep 25, 2014

Hi kgrabner,

That would be the ideal setup for the T20 if you plan on using a 4K device.

The T20 does feature an IR sensor, so the system can indeed be controlled by other remotes. You would need to check with the manufacturer of the remote to obtain the remote code and instructions on how to do this.

You can also program the T20 remote to operate the television and other devices. Since we are the manufacturer of the Lifestyle remote, we can give instructions on how to control other devices using the T20 remote if you would like to go that route. The instructions on how to do so are linked below if needed:

Controlling connected devices

Thank you,

-Michael

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 6, 2017

Hi I’m in the UK and have just bought a 4K Apple TV, I also have a SKY Q box which is 4K.  I understand that the Lifestyle T20 does not allow 4K pass through but as the SKY audio is connected via the opticalI port I cannot connect the Apple TV audio to my Bose system.  Surely there must be a replacement Lifestyle 4K comparable console.  If not why can’t you either produce one or come up with a software update? Regards Simon
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Simon, 

Thank you for your post. I'd be happy to help answer your questions. 4K provides amazing picture quality, and if you have a TV and devices that support 4K, you definitely want to be able to use them! As you and others have mentioned, the Lifestyle T20 console does not support 4K pass through. Unfortunately, this isn't simply software updatable, because the HDMI hardware in the console would also need updating, to support 4K. With that being said, you'd have two options. First, we can explore alternate setup/connection options for your current system. Second, you may want to consider one of our newer systems, which do support 4K. 

If you'd like to use your current system, I'd recommend the following setup:

• Connect both your SKY box and Apple 4K TV to your Television using HDMI cables. 
  • Connect a digital optical cable from your TV's digital optical audio output, to the Lifestyle T20's "Optical TV Audio In". 
  • If you haven't already, be sure to add this connection in the system's Unify setup menu:
    • Turn the system on
    • Press the SETUP button on the front of the Lifestyle T20 console
    • Navigate to TV setup and press OK on the Bose remote.
    • Navigate to Add TV audio and press OK again. 
    • Complete the setup by following the on-screen instructions. 

If you'd like to consider a newer system, I'd recommend either the Lifestyle 600 or Lifestyle 650 systems. Both of these support 4K pass through. 

Please let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,

Brian - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2017

Thanks,

This setup works in principle, but I also like to use the TV’s smart remote (Samsung Premium Smart Remote) to control the T20. It works to change volume once the system is powered on, but I can’t turn the T20 on/off with the Samsung remote. Any ideas how to make this work?
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi kgrabner,

Thank you for the reply. As far as getting the Samsung remote to control the T20, Samsung would have the best solution for this. We would be able to help you if it was a Bose remote issue.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Bose Support

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 1, 2018

Hi,

I'm from Belgium and I plan too to buy a new 4K TV.

I also have an "old" Lifestyle T20 system.

I've read moderator reply to this thread but I've got another question about using a digital optical cable between the new TV and the Bose system...

What about HD audio signals ? I think it's not possible to get DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD signals through optical cable... It's only possible with a HDMI cable (correct me if I'm wrong).

Then, is there any possibility to use a HDMI cable between TV "output" (to get only the sound) and Bose input (for exemple HDMI 1) and then to configure Bose Lifestyle T20 to only use sound from this HDMI cable ?

Thanks for your help.

Christophe.