Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dobarbe
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Lifestyles Surround Sound Systems Remote

Hi All:

I have a 10 year old Bose Surround Sound system. It all works fine. About 1 year ago I had professionally installed a new Sony Bravia Smart TV. I also have AT&T Fiber. All goes through the Bose system and I use the very old Bose system remote to control everything. In the last week or two however, I can not get to a search or a home screen in Amazon Prime it just stays on the selected movie or I can scroll to customers viewed similar movies, cast, credits, etc - that's about it. The installation guy had it all working a year ago through my Bose remote but this just happened with Amazon recently. My remote does not  have a "home" or "search" or "back" button. Nor does it have yellow, blue, red or green buttons.

Does anyone know what button may get me back to "home" or "search" for Amazon on my 10 year old Bose Lifestyles remote? Everything seems to work fine for Netflix, YouTube, and other apps. I'm afraid the technology may have surpassed my remote and/or Bose system.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessie_O

Re: Lifestyles Surround Sound Systems Remote

Author Accepted Answer selected by dobarbe

Hi Doug, 

Thanks for coming back to us! 

Most remotes now will not control your LS38 system due to age. You may be able to replace the remote with an identical one. The best way to find out if this is available to you would be to get in contact with the team in your region. Click the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. One of the team will be more than happy to help! 

Let us know if there is anything else we can do!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Jeff_G

Hello dobarbe, 

Thanks for posting! Welcome to the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your Lifestyle remote. 

To give us a better understanding and to enable us to assist you more effectively, can you please confirm which model of Lifestyle system it is? If you're unsure, please visit this page and enter the product's serial number. Please do not post the serial number on this page. 

I'll look forward to your reply!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
dobarbe
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Hi Jeff:

It is a Lifestyle LS38, purchased in December 2009. As I said, all is working well - just the remote stopped working on Amazon Prime. 

Doug

Jessie_O

Thanks for confirming this Doug!

How do you use Amazon Prime? 

Do you have a stick or is this an app on your TV? 

Does the remote control other devices ok?

I look forward to hearing from you!

dobarbe
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

I access Prime through my Sony Bravia SMART TV. When I had it professionally installed a year or so ago the tech was able to program the Bose remote to do everything. I do not have a Amazon stick. All works fine except Amazon will not go home or search now....as of maybe 2 weeks ago. To access these apps on my 10 year old bose remote I need to hit the oblong TV button, then the DVD Menu button....which opens up all the apps, TV, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube etc....I scroll to what I want to watch, hit enter and it opens then I can scroll around to find a movie or show I want...on Amazon now once I select a movie, it sticks there....I cannot exit that and go find another movie or show....I can only scroll to "customers also watched" like movies - not home, not search. If I use my TV remote I can.....but I did not need to do that before. So I am trying to find out what button on my Bose remote represents "home" and "search" - none say that abd there are no color buttons to hit to go to that functionality. So I have a 10 year old Bose LS 36 (0r 38I forget what I wrote earlier) bose system, a Sony Bravia SMART TV and AT&T fiber.....lots of different connections.

Doug

Andy_B
Community Manager

Hey Doug, thanks for the additional information. I'm confident that the answer is "yes", but, to confirm - are all of the other apps that you're using, such as Netflix, also through the built-in services to the Sony TV? 

Have you tried programming the remote control for use with your TV once again? This may have been previously performed during your initial installation. To do this, we have a guide HERE. On step 8, you'll be asked to try the first code. For Sony Bravia TV systems, the code recommended for use is 0810 or 1551. However, I'd encourage you to test the functionality for each individually listed available code in this setup screen - select one option, then test the Amazon Video functionality, then returning back to the settings within the Lifestyle system should there be no improvements to test the next code.

To make you aware, there is a possibility that the required functionality may simply not be possible. Each manufacturer and vendor utilize their own hardware/software with varying degrees of cross-platform compatibility. While certain functions many work, like your ability to scroll to "similar content", there may be a limitation on what we can achieve. Do you have any other devices connected to your TV? If just the Sony TV for audio/video sources, like Amazon/Netflix/YouTube, you may instead be able to use just the TV remote to operate both the volume and content selection, vs the Bose remote.

dobarbe
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Hi Andy - Yes. I access all apps on my Sony Bravia TV. In addition I have ATT Fiber connecting in some way through my Bose system too. 10 years ago a Bose guy programmed everything. 1 year ago when I had my Bravia professionally installed that guy programmed everything to work through my Bose remote. As such, I have NOT tried programming my remote personally as I fear screwing up some other think the prior 2 professional techs did. I am NOT at all technical. So it seems I will have to hire someone to come back and do this. I was really just trying to find out from Bose before I do so....is there a function on my Bose remote for "home" or "search"? There are no buttons that say that, there are no color coded buttons that trigger those actions. Everything works fine except Amazon Prime which no longer allows me to search or go home through my Bose remote - I can on my TV remote but that somewhat defeats the purpose. The other apps still work fully that through my Bose remote. Alternatively, Is there a new Bose remote for a Lifestyle LS38 that I can buy that has all that functionality clearly labeled on the remote itself. 

Andy_B
Community Manager

Hey Dobarbe. I appreciate your concerns. Regrettably, as noted in the previous message, no, there is no dedicated translatable button for the "home"/"search" functions. As universal remotes will try to facilitate a wide range of third-party systems, but there may occasionally be those instances whereby a specific feature/button may react slightly differently between different third-party systems.

As all of your sources are built-in to the TV, have you considered using the TV's remote to operate everything? Theoretically, it may also be able to control the volume of the Lifestyle system, and give you full native support for all of your TV's built-in applications. Depending on your TV model, you may be able to pair the remote to the Lifestyle. Visit Sony's remote site HERE, and enter your TV model number for any available information.

dobarbe
Participant
Registered since

Jun 24, 2020

Ok Andy. One last question to be clear - is there a new Bose remote that I can buy from Bose to operate my Lifestyle LS38 that may have all those updated buttons and functionality ,etc. My Sony Bravia remote is great, I prefer it. After10 years use, the Bose remote is pretty worn out. However, that Bravia remote apparently did not work for the 10 year old Bose system so the Sony guy had to program the Bose remote. 

If not, thanks for your advise and counsel and I will conclude the discussion.

Doug

Jessie_O

Author Accepted Answer selected by dobarbe

Hi Doug, 

Thanks for coming back to us! 

Most remotes now will not control your LS38 system due to age. You may be able to replace the remote with an identical one. The best way to find out if this is available to you would be to get in contact with the team in your region. Click the LINK HERE, select your country and scroll down to 'Contact Us'. One of the team will be more than happy to help! 

Let us know if there is anything else we can do!

View solution in original post