amansehdev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Multiple Issue With Bose 700 Bass Module

Hi I have got multiple issues with my Bose 700 soundbar, bass module and surround speakers. Firstly, the accessory speakers keep on disappearing from the Bose Music App. They play intermittently and it's very frustrating. I have to either restart the system or add them again. Sometimes they start to work by itself in couple of minutes. Secondly, bass module causes static popping noise while watching movies on netflix and gaming on PS4. Lastly, the common issue everyone is talking about is lack of volume from Bass unit despite of keeping at max level from the app. I have already returned one faulty unit that wouldn't even connect to bass module. However second one isn't been impressive either. I have done the factory reset, conducted Adaptiq setup but of no avail. I wanted to give one last try here before I return this unit and buy Sonos. Please restore my faith in Bose again.
17 REPLIES 17
Andy_B
Community Manager

Re: Multiple Issue With Bose 700 Bass Module

Hi Amansehdev,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community!

I am sorry to hear of the issues that you've been experiencing with your Bass Module and Surround Speakers but would be happy to help.

From what you have described, it sounds that there may be a large amount of wireless interference in the environment from nearby electronic devices. The wireless Bass Module and Surround Speaker connect using 2.4 GHz wireless frequencies, which is a similar frequency to that of which most internet routers utilise to transmit data via Wi-Fi. These two accessory speakers do not directly connect to the Wi-Fi network themselves, but instead connect directly to the Soundbar 700 via the wireless frequency to communicate and transmit data. A popping and static noise is very typical to the Bass Module receiving large volumes of wireless interference.

Is it possible to relocate the Bass module and Surround Speakers to alternative locations in the room? Ideally we encourage placing the Bass Module on the floor, between 6 and 12 ft from the Soundbar 700 to allow the signal between both systems to successfully be transmitted and received. Should this positioning not be possible, we do have a physical interconnecting cable that will physically connect the Bass Module to the Soundbar 700 itself to facilitate this.

How are you discerning that the accessory speakers are disconnecting from the Soundbar 700, is this just the visual guide from within the Bose Music app, does the audio cut or do you see any alterations in the LED status indicators on the Wireless Receivers and Bass Module?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
amansehdev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Hi Andy

I have tried everything already as I have been following the threads from other people. I have changed positions. Used the 3.5mm cable. I have also used the LAN as well. I have tried different adaptiq techniques and positions. Most of the times when I go to adjustments menu bass module and surround speakers option is not visible at all. If I go to settings menu/accessory speakers, both bass module and surround speakers are greyed out.

Today after your reply I decided to give everything another go. I did a reset on the system via remote control and setup the whole thing again. When I got to the option of adding accessory speakers, it didn't detect anything. I unplugged everything multiple times including soundbar for more than 30 seconds still no luck. I eventually gave up after wasting 4 hours and ended up in sheer frustration despite spending the top dollar.

I don't buy the issue of wifi interference especially in today's age where everything is wireless. Shouldn't Bose be bringing the products in the market that are meant to work with wifi rather than interfere with it. Your speakers are meant to be wireless rather than interfere with wifi. What lacks here is thorough testing and research to iron out these issues.

Reading stories from other users it seems that there's a manufacturing defects with these units. It would have been great if Bose acknowledges it and commits to solve via an update or recall. However I am disappointed that this is the second system as I had issues with the first one and Bose isn't doing anything about it.

I have given up and I am going to take it back to the retailer to buy a different unit. So far my experience with Bose products has nothing but the best. However, Bose has let me down this time as I have had a face embarrassment in front of family and friends. Moreover, it hasn't done Bose any favours.

Aman
finfree
Participant
Registered since

Mar 2, 2019

Here's the thing... I've tried all suggestions throughout multiple threads related to this issue.  I've removed my 5g WiFi mesh module since it was close to the Bose Bass unit (I have an Orbi RB40 with 2 satelite modules - well only 1 now that I've removed the 2nd one that was close to the SB and BM).  I've moved the bass to within 3 feet of the soundbar, I've reset everything to factory defaults (many times) and run the adaptIQ multiple different ways (with the bass connected, with the bass disconnected, etc).  Nothing, absolutely nothing has helped make the bass module perform.  I've even wired the bass module directly to the soundbar using a 6ft male to male 3.5mm audio cable.  NO improvement.  The soundbar itself puts out more bass than the bass module.  I currently have the manual adjustment settings at +100 bass -80 treble -20 center channel.  I can say that changing the manual adjustments does work.  You can tell there's more bass between -100 and +100 - which tells me the firmware has an issue.  Negative 100 should be adjusted to ZERO and +100 should be adjusted to +200.  Then, the module might actually put out some quality bass.  Or, 

It doesn't matter if i'm playing bluetooth, tv (arc), or disconnected everything and playing amazon music over the cat 6e ethernet cable connected to the soundbar.  The bass quality is minimal unless I have the volume of the soundbar cranked up beyond 70%.

I am taking this unit back to the retailer for a refund and looking at purchasing something else.  It's a real bummer because I have always been a fan of Bose.  The SB is great, but the Bass is making me return the entire setup.

BrianJP
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

I had many similar issues regarding poor bass along with surround speaker ,Alexa and software issues . Finally after 6 weeks I now have what I would call acceptable performance albeit with bass at +50 and after what I have been through I still can't be sure I'm getting the best out of the system.
However what would say to anyone with " poor bass" is have you put the Subwoofer in the best position in the room?
Subwoofers use room accoustics to radiate the sound so put in the wrong place you can get very poor results.
It is worth mapping out the room to see where all the null points are for low frequencies. There are many websites with free calculators.
You usually get the most bass from the SW if placed in a corner then next best against a wall. When in the best spot if you move around the wall you will still find places where bass level is much lower.Also out of all the suggestions on here make sure when you set up with Adaptiq you do it with SW disconnected.
None of this is great news for Bose as buyers expect to get 1st rate audio performance out of the box and not have to spend many frustrating hours striving to get this as so many people on this forum have demonstrated.
amansehdev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Hi finfree

I took my unit back to the retailer yesterday. As I was entering the store, one of the sales associates had a cheeky smirk on his face. It gave me an impression that oh no another one. However when I asked them if they have had any returns their answer was no only 2 so far which I find it extremely hard to believe.

Anyway I wasnt sure what to buy as there aren't many options in this segment. I looked at Sonos, liked the sound quality however didn't like the part about optical cable. Since my unit is four months old, retailer mentioned that it needs to go to Bose for testing before they give me a credit. I reluctantly agreed to it. However, I have written my expectations on the paper in terms of required performance as promised by Bose and iron out all these issues if the unit is to come back to me. I find this wifi interference completely unacceptable in today's age. It makes me laugh and angry at the same time.

One thing I did notice when I was at the retailer that sb500 bass module sounds more powerful than sb700 bass module. Even their display sb700 bass module seemed really weak. It's the soundbar that's making up for the loss of punch. One thing I have to admit that Soundbar is amazing by itself. Sound quality is out of the world. You know I would be happy if Bose comes back and promises to fix the issues by a certain date with a firmware update. I would happily wait as I bought the system to enjoy the experience. I was one of the first ones to buy it even before they had put a set-up in the store. I bought it in faith because of the name Bose. I guess I have learnt a very important lesson. Never again!

They have asked for couple of weeks. I am having to overuse my TV speakers. Hopefully they won't give up by then 🙂

I am really ashamed of a pioneer like Bose not looking after their customer and having integrity as a brand to acknowledge the issues. This was a perfect opportunity for them to make it great for their loyal customers by doing something about it.
amansehdev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Hi Brian

Trust me I have tried everything and spent countless hours in frustrating myself as nothing changed. I really wanted it to work, that's why I spent so much money. I am not going to compromise with any lack of performance as I didn't buy it faulty or for half price. Top dollar should be matched with top performance.

Such a shame it had to be this way. I really think it's an issue with their app and firmware. Soundbar by itself is great but it doesn't serve the whole purpose.
momolee
Participant
Registered since

Mar 10, 2019

For those who couldn't return them and still waiting for the firmware update, I tried the suggestion from one of the other members.

"Ran AdaptiqIQ with the bass module connected but had the headband (microphone) about 1 feet away from the sound bar itself. Finished it and I saw a considerable gain in bass. I can almost say it’s wirning as intended. The bass sounds so clear and awesome. "

Hope this helps

Mattscolari
Participant
Registered since

Nov 23, 2015

Similarly had no bass after a few setups.

What worked for me is....

I took the SW out of its position and put in the middle of the room. Re ran Adaptiq with 1 of my 5 positions stood right over the SW. After finished the setup put the SW back to original position and now it fills the room (you can feel it).

I’m no expert but on what I observed is the issue is with the Adaptiq, and if it doesn’t get it right the soundbar believes it needs to send weak bass signal to give you optimum sound and will do that every time until you re do the settings.

I hope it helps a few people not have to go through the weeks of trying and wondering if they have a faulty piece of equipment.

Please Bose get the fix out or at least send some info out to help your customers.
amansehdev
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2019

Hi Matt

I had a good results with adaptiq last week, however a couple of days later wifi interference killed the buzz. Accessory speakers started disappearing from the Bose app. Sound quality also went downhill for everything except for soundbar itself. This system is not fit for purpose as everyone is streaming things over the internet e.g youtube and netflix. I disabled the mesh but still no luck, tried changing the router and that didn't work either. Funnily enough Bose moderator only responded to this post initially and they didn't bother after that as they know that they don't have a fix for it. Worse part is them not acknowledging an issue to start with.