Highlighted
Santa01
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

New here.

Howdy, Glad I found y'all. I have purchased a pair of 901s seires VI. I am running a Pioneer sx 950 at 85 watts. I am also using the Bose EQ. I believe that I am going to need a few more watts as when I turn up the volume she just seems lacking. Low and fairly loud sounds fantastic but I am needing more push. Any suggestions on an Amp? My goal is to add an amp and later an EQ, 12 to 15 band. I had not heard any 901s in about 40 years. A good friend had a pair hooked up to a McIntosh tube amp. I was hooked! When these came up for sale localy I jumped and am in love. Any popinters, experience would be recieved by very grateful ears.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: New here.

Hello Santa01,

Thanks for the post.

Congrats on your recent purchase of the 901 VI's!

There will be a limited amount of receivers we can suggest since there is not many with a Tape In/Tape out connection for the 901 equalizer on the market anymore. Otherwise, you could look into a preamp as well, but your receiver would need to have Preamp Out/Main Out and Preamp In/Main In.

Some of the receivers we suggested were:

• Marantz models SR-9600, SR9600XM, SR-9600, SR-9300
  • McIntosh models: MHT-200, MHT-100
  • Yahmah models: RX-Z9, RX-Z1

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Santa01
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 8, 2019

Thank you sir, I have a Pioneer SX950 @ 85 watts from 1976 I also have a Pioneer PL-50 turntable. I really need a bit more wattage. I am thinking somewhere around 250/300 watt amp. The SX950 has a bit of a warm sound and am looking for an amp that would comp;iment it. Thank you for your replies!

Hi Santa01,

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, the choice of receivers for the 901's are very limited nowadays since none of them come with a tape in/tape out loop to accommodate the 901 equalizers. The only other option that I mentioned is to look into a preamp for more power.

Hopefully, you're able to locate one of the above mentioned.

Let us know how everything works out.

Have a great day!

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support