BoysenM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

New setup

Hello,

For the new house we are building now i’m looking to upgrade my current music installation.
(5.1 Yamaha speakerset with Pioneer reciever)

I want to go with a solution from Bose.
Next month we will wire-up the home and integrade the speakercables in the wall and I need to know what system I will take then.

I was doubting between 3 of your systems:

1)      A new reciever (4k) from denon (AVR-3500H 8 Ohms, 180 W/channel) in combination with the Accoustimass 10V

2)      A soundbar (500/700) in combination with sub and twe rear speakers

3)      The lifestyle 550 system.

I think that I will be most future proof with the first system. I always can connect the Denon and the smart home speaker 500 with airplay 2 if I want multiroom.

For the lifestyle 550 system I have also a couple questions, how future proof is this system? I know that the system at this moment works with the soundtouch app, but not with the newer Bose Music app. Will this ever be updated?  Will there be airplay 2 support in the furure?

For the soundbar combination, is this not the better solution for people that can not wire cables in the wall?

Wich system is superior for watchin movie and listening to music?

Here is a picture of the layout of my living room.

Thank you and sorry for the bad English (I’m from Belgium)

living_room.jpg

9 REPLIES 9

Re: New setup

Hi BoysenM,

Thanks for the questions.

This all comes down to personal preference on with what you choose. 

To answer your questions:

For the lifestyle 550 system I have also a couple questions, how future proof is this system? I know that the system at this moment works with the soundtouch app, but not with the newer Bose Music app. Will this ever be updated?  Will there be airplay 2 support in the future?

• The SoundTouch product line and application will be support for the foreseeable future. We will continue to update and make improvements. Airplay 2 support is slated to be released this year for SoundTouch products that have Bluetooth capabilities. The SoundTouch and Bose Music Smart Home products are built on 2 different platforms and will not be compatible with each other.

For the soundbar combination, is this not the better solution for people that can not wire cables in the wall?

• Not necessarily, a lot of people nowadays want a simplified home theater solution versus having to install a 5.1 system run speaker wires through the walls.

Which system is superior for watching a movie and listening to music?

• This again comes down to personal preference. The best advice I can give you is to go and take a listen for yourself at a local retailer to see which one fits your needs the best.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I doubt that either the Soundtouch 550, 600, or 650 will ever be updated beyond what they are today.  Also, I would not recommend a Soundbar since you have the opportunity to wire your room for a much more robust system.

My recommendation is not to worry about which system you will end up with.  Save that decision for when your house is complete and you are moving in, then purchase the system you want.

I would wire the room for a 7.2.4 Atmos system.  That would include wiring for front left, right, and center, surround left and right, and rear surround left and right.  Also run wiring in the ceiling for front left and right, and rear left and right Atmos speakers.  You would need wiring for 2 subwoofers.

When you are ready to purchase a system, I would only purchase Bose if you want the small cube type speakers instead of larger speakers.  In that case, I would go with an Atmos 7.2.4 receiver and two Bose Acoustimass 10's.  That would give you 10 speakers and 2 subs to support 7.2.2 or 5.2.4.  If you go with full sized speakers, you could purchase any brand you want and get the full 7.2.4.

If you don't want to go that extensive, a Bose Acoustimass 10 and good receiver will give you an acceptable 5.1 system that will be preferable to a soundbar.  Or, a Bose 550, 600, or 650 would work also.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Also, make sure you put plenty of 110v, or whatever it is where you live, anywhere you might want to end up with a wireless speaker.  For instance, if you decide to go with a Bose wireless system, the rear surrounds will need to be plugged into a power source as will your sub.

BoysenM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

Thank you all for the responses.

I think I will wirering the room for the 7.2.4, and start with just one acoustimass 10, and then in further future I can buy a second set of AC10's.

The only thing I'm wondering is what to to with the ceiling Atmos speakers. The celing exist off reinforced concrete. Drill a hole here is a lot more difficult then in wood =). Somebody experience whit that?

BoysenM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

I have another question.

We've decided to go and start with 1 acoustimass system (with wirering in the wall to expand later to a two 7.2.2 system), but how to I properly set-up everyting? For the frond speakers, do I fix them on the wall by the WB50 brackets? (left and right chanel on a 30° angel from listening/viewing point, +- 30 cm away from television?, center speaker under television?)

Do I mount the back speakers also with the WB 50 brackets or is it better to use for theseones the rotation UB 20 brackets? For esthetic reason I prefer the WB50 bracket flat on the wall.. But if the sound is much better with the rotation UB20, I will choose these.  Can I mount them on +- 15 cm from the ceiling (practicality?) Or do I need to mount them on ear height? 

Then the wirering, how do I moint my prewires ons the acoustimass module? Are there adaptorssets? Do I lose signal quality? Can I use speaker wire 0,75mm? (all distances are less then 10 meter)

Thanks in advance for the answers.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Like this.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/speaker_accessories/ub-20-series-ii-wall-ceiling-bracke...

I doubt it will make much, if any, difference which brackets you use.  I would use whatever you like best.  Personally, I would mount all speakers at or near ear level except the Atmos speakers.  They should be in the ceiling, if possible, or near the ceiling at least.

BoysenM
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

Thank you for the advice. 

Does someone have a idee how that I connect the acoustimass with the build in speakers? is there a adaptor or do I need to change the cables by myself?

Thanks

Highlighted

Hello BoysenM,

We do have adapters available that will allow you to connect bare wire from your in-wall wiring run to an RCA connector for your Acoustimass bass module. That part number is 267139-101. Please contact your local Bose support for ordering information. Contact information can be found here. Just select your region, and kindly scroll down to where you see "Contact Us". 

Best Regards,

Greg - Community Support

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Or you could just splice the in-wall speaker wires to the supplied Bose speaker wires.