Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dale_Youngs
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2020

No Sound on AV321 Series II Connected to Sony - 75" Class X950H

Hello, I connected my AV321 Series II (firmware 01.01.05) to a Sony X950H TV via a toslink cable.  I set the digital audio port on the 321 to TV through the System Media Center.  There is no sound coming from the 321.  If I move the toslink cable to a soundbar I get sound.  What am I missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: No Sound on AV321 Series II Connected to Sony - 75" Class X950H

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dale_Youngs

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I didn't have a lot of time last night to test this, but I did test with an optical cable from a blue ray player and it didn't work.  So, that tells me its the optical port on the 321.  

Yeah, I would try and see if it would work if you assign it to other inputs and see if that fixes it. But I doubt it would.

Since you know the cable works. There is either something inside the optical port blocking the optical input or the port/motherboard is somehow broken. Not much I can think to fix that.

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I have the optical port set to TV, and I tried the AV cables from the DVD player to the 321 and they worked on TV.  That surprised me since I would have expected that when I assigned the optical port to the TV, I though it would override and disable the AV ports.  I don't know if that is true or not.  

I'm guessing if that's the case then you are only changing the Digital line. So when you assign it to TV it either disables the Digital Coax input or (what I think happens) makes the Optical input a priority over the Digital Coax input when you select TV on the remote.

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

So, I think I am down to getting the optical to coax converter that you recommended, unless you have any other suggestions.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

I would try and test out Digital Coax if you can find a device that has it. If not, just try to find it at a place where you can return it if needed.

Good luck 🙂

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

Hello, I connected my AV321 Series II (firmware 01.01.05) to a Sony X950H TV via a toslink cable.  I set the digital audio port on the 321 to TV through the System Media Center.  There is no sound coming from the 321.  If I move the toslink cable to a soundbar I get sound.  What am I missing?

You have to assign the optical input. All information on this and other ways to connect your AV321 II receiver to a modern HDTV is explained in this post

I hope that this answer helps solve your issue 🙂

Dale_Youngs
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2020

I appreciate the link to the post that you referenced.  It has great pictures and good information.  I did assign the optical input, or at least thought I did when I stated that "I set the digital audio port on the 321 to TV through the System Media Center."  Unless there is something more to this that I am missing.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I appreciate the link to the post that you referenced.  It has great pictures and good information.  

Thanks, I put quite a lot of research into that 🙂

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I did assign the optical input, or at least thought I did when I stated that "I set the digital audio port on the 321 to TV through the System Media Center."  Unless there is something more to this that I am missing.

Ok, so you verified that you have enabled the optical on the 321 for TV, yet you cannot receive sound from the TV.

So now we need to verify 3 things. Is it the TV, the Cable, or the 321 that is at fault:

1. Can you listen to any other sources using that optical cable? Do you have a BluRay or another media device that has optical to test? Please try that.
  2. If that other device does not work, have you tried a second optical cable to make sure that it is not the cable that is broken?
  3. Have you tried another audio cable like RCA or Digital Coax on the other ports to verify that the AV321 II receiver can accept sound on other ports?

Let us know what happens 🙂

Dale_Youngs
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2020

OK.  I will try #1 tonight - great idea!  I will hook up the optical cable to a blue ray player.  #2 - the cable cant be broken since it works when I remove it from the 321 and plug it into a sound bar.  #3 - yes, I have other devices plugged into the RCA ports on the other inputs and they work fine.  Thanks!

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

OK.  I will try #1 tonight - great idea!  I will hook up the optical cable to a blue ray player.  #2 - the cable cant be broken since it works when I remove it from the 321 and plug it into a sound bar.  #3 - yes, I have other devices plugged into the RCA ports on the other inputs and they work fine.  Thanks!

Good to know that the cable works, see if you can test out a Digital Coax device as well. If we know for sure that the AV321 II's optical input doesn't work then it might be a good idea to use an optical to coax converter if your TV does not have a coax out that is.

517fymoQ9oL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Good luck, let us know what happens 🙂

Dale_Youngs
Participant
Registered since

Nov 30, 2020

I didn't have a lot of time last night to test this, but I did test with an optical cable from a blue ray player and it didn't work.  So, that tells me its the optical port on the 321.  I have the optical port set to TV, and I tried the AV cables from the DVD player to the 321 and they worked on TV.  That surprised me since I would have expected that when I assigned the optical port to the TV, I though it would override and disable the AV ports.  I don't know if that is true or not.  So, I think I am down to getting the optical to coax converter that you recommended, unless you have any other suggestions.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

NeonsNight
Expert
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dale_Youngs

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I didn't have a lot of time last night to test this, but I did test with an optical cable from a blue ray player and it didn't work.  So, that tells me its the optical port on the 321.  

Yeah, I would try and see if it would work if you assign it to other inputs and see if that fixes it. But I doubt it would.

Since you know the cable works. There is either something inside the optical port blocking the optical input or the port/motherboard is somehow broken. Not much I can think to fix that.

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

I have the optical port set to TV, and I tried the AV cables from the DVD player to the 321 and they worked on TV.  That surprised me since I would have expected that when I assigned the optical port to the TV, I though it would override and disable the AV ports.  I don't know if that is true or not.  

I'm guessing if that's the case then you are only changing the Digital line. So when you assign it to TV it either disables the Digital Coax input or (what I think happens) makes the Optical input a priority over the Digital Coax input when you select TV on the remote.

@Dale_Youngs wrote:

So, I think I am down to getting the optical to coax converter that you recommended, unless you have any other suggestions.  Thanks so much for your help on this.

I would try and test out Digital Coax if you can find a device that has it. If not, just try to find it at a place where you can return it if needed.

Good luck 🙂

View solution in original post