Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

Output connections for powered speakers

I have the Bose Acoustic Wave Music System model CD-3000 and would like to add speakers, but I need to know the technical name of the output connection so I can determine which speakers would be compatible.  I have the information from the user's manual, but it simply shows Line Out for left and right without any information as to what the actual connection is.  I understand that powered speakers are different from speakers that are connected to a receiver.  Can someone help me with this?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

Re: Output connections for powered speakers

Author Accepted Answer selected by Lynnea1941

I can report that I have successfully installed the speakers to that old Bose.  Whew, it took a lot of work for this 76-year-old to finally get things right, and your help was invaluable.  Thank you.

Lynnea

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Hello Lynnea1941. Thank you for asking. Those connections are called an RCA connection. They will be standard on an audio receiver as well as many powered speakers. Powered speakers that don't have an RCA connection typically use a 3.5mm jack, and if that is the case, you can use what is called a Y cable (male RCA to male 3.5mm). Those are very common. 

Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

I did find a mono RCA male to 3.5mm male.  So, I guess I would plug one each into the two speakers, and then into the left and right Line Out to have it work.  Is this correct?

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

It sounds like you are using two powered speakers in a stereo setup. That is a perfect solution. 

Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

You have been so helpful.  Everytime I solve one concern, I find another.  It would seem that I need to have this type of cable:  3.5mm Male to 2-Male RCA [Left / Right], to hook up a pair of small desktop speakers that do not have separate left and right connections.  The two speakers are connected and then there is a connection to the audio source.  If I have a RCA joined connection for the left and right line outs at the back of the Bose, and then this leads to a single 3.5mm male to the correct audio input on one of the speakers, then this should be able to connect the speakers and the Bose.  Am I on the right track?

Highlighted
Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

I'm sorry for asking yet another question.  I did discover that the speakers I would like to use require the RCA and 3.5mm be stereo and not mono.  Would this work with the CD3000?

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Let's try another approach and we can review your setup. What is the make and model of the computer speakers you are using? That way, we can pull up some information online about them to help you. 

Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

Thanks so much for helping me.

I am interested in the Kanto YU2 2-Way Powered Desktop Speakers.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 13, 2016

Thank you Lynne. These speakers have a 3.5mm stereo input, so you'd use a Y cable to connect the Line Out of the CD3000 (male RCA stereo to male 3.5mm stereo). 

Lynnea1941
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 12, 2017

Kanto P76F-5000B Pro Series 3.5mm Stereo to 2X RCA (Male 3-Pole to Male)

This is the type you mean, right?