Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

PS28 Powered Speakers

My father has a PS28 subwoofer that will no longer work.  It appears to be very difficult to find a replacement speaker.  Is is possible to use the PS28 III model speaker as a replacement?  These seem to be much more readily avaialable.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Re: PS28 Powered Speakers

Hello Wahooson,

Thank you for your inquiry. I'm sorry to hear that your PS28 Acoustimass Module is no longer working. The answer to your compatibility question will depend on which Lifestyle Media Center is being used. Could you possibly provide us with a model number (AV18, AV28, etc.)? 

For replacement parts and/or service options, we'd recommend reaching out to our Technical Support Team directly by phone. Regional contact information can be found HERE. After selecting your region, navigate to the top-right corner of the page and select 'Support'. Then, scroll to the bottom of the page and select 'Contact Us'.

Best regards,

Brian

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

Brian,

Thanks for the response.  I had my Dad send me the "label" from the bottom of the subwoofer to see if there was a specific model number identified.  Unfortunately I cannot see anything that references anything "AV"?  It just has "BOSE Model PS28 Powered Speaker System".  There is a Serial Number listed of 029712922210274AS.  Not sure if this is helpful or not?  Also, I was wondering if the AV Model number would be located on a different piece of equipment maybe?  If so, just let me know and I can have my Dad look it up.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

May 16, 2016

Hi Wahooson,

Thanks for responding. That's enough information to identify your system. You have either the first generation Lifestyle 18, 28, or 35. The best way to tell them apart is with the speakers. The 18 has a single cube whereas the 28 and 35 have the double swivel cubes. The cubes for the 35 have metal grilles on them. Unfortunately, the series III Acoustimass will not work with these systems. Your PS28 has an RJ-45 style connection for the audio input cable whereas the newer series III has a 9 pin DIN style connection. If you want to replace the Acoustimass, you'll either need to find another PS28 or an original series LSPS which also has the RJ-45 style connection. These Acoustimass modules were only used with the Lifestyle 18,28, and 35s series I and II. The series III Acoustimass modules were used in the 18,28, and 35 series III and IV. Please let us know if you have any other questions! 

Thank you!