cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mfmonahan@verizon.net
Participant
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

Problem onnecting a late model 4k TV to an older Lifestyle 48.

I am looking to connect my Lifestyle 48 system to a two-year old Sony XBR-65A1E TV. I also added a Bose Soundbar 700 with Surround sound speakers. The core problem for me is how can I connect the Lifestyle 48 to the HDMI-equipped Sony. The TV has only four HDMI ports which are taken up by a set-top box, an Apple 4k TV, and a Sony UHD Blue-ray player, with the Bose Soundbar 700 taking up the single HDMI/ARC output. The essence of the problem is that I have no obvious way to connect the Lifestyle 48 to the smart TV, so that I can use the music system with the endless hours great music that I have collected over the years. I added a Soundtouch Wireless Link adapter to the mix, thinking I might be able to avoid the wiring diagram nightmare that seems to lead nowhere. Somehow, I need to get the  Lifestyle 48 to connect with the TV so that I can use the internal DVD and a TV picture to control the Bose console setup features.

I have studied this problem for sometime without finding a clearcut solution. I really need a good answer from the 200k plus community membership. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Problem onnecting a late model 4k TV to an older Lifestyle 48.

Author Accepted Answer selected by mfmonahan@verizon.net

Why are you trying to use two different Bose sound systems?  I would sell the Bose Lifestyle 48 on eBay.

If you are determined to use the Lifestyle 48, the only way to send sound from your TV is to use an optical cable from your TV to the Bose.  Optical is the same audio quality as HDMI and you are already using HDMI ARC for the Soundbar 700.

The only problem is sending video from the Bose Lifestyle 48 to your TV.  The only way I see is to purchase an adapter from Amazon to convert video out from the Lifestyle to HDMI into your TV.  You will need to unplug something from the TV to free up an HDMI port or purchase an HDMI splitter or switching device.  You could unplug something long enough to do the Lifestyle 48 setup.  You don't need video from the Bose after that.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-ABLEWE-Composite-Supporting-Blue-Ray/dp/B07RX69KR8/ref=sr_1_3?dchil... 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by mfmonahan@verizon.net

Why are you trying to use two different Bose sound systems?  I would sell the Bose Lifestyle 48 on eBay.

If you are determined to use the Lifestyle 48, the only way to send sound from your TV is to use an optical cable from your TV to the Bose.  Optical is the same audio quality as HDMI and you are already using HDMI ARC for the Soundbar 700.

The only problem is sending video from the Bose Lifestyle 48 to your TV.  The only way I see is to purchase an adapter from Amazon to convert video out from the Lifestyle to HDMI into your TV.  You will need to unplug something from the TV to free up an HDMI port or purchase an HDMI splitter or switching device.  You could unplug something long enough to do the Lifestyle 48 setup.  You don't need video from the Bose after that.

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-ABLEWE-Composite-Supporting-Blue-Ray/dp/B07RX69KR8/ref=sr_1_3?dchil... 

View solution in original post

mfmonahan@verizon.net
Participant
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

Thank you for the helpful reply. I’m grateful for the suggestions and the supporting analysis. It helped coalesce several ideas that I had been kicking around into a plan.

I appreciate the accumulated expertise and community wisdom.