Problem with LifeStyle 650 and Windows 10 sound settings

SOLVED
Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Problem with LifeStyle 650 and Windows 10 sound settings

Hello everyone,

I just bought the Home Theater system LS 650. I have connected through one of the HDMI inputs a computer that I use as media center. Windows identifies the Bose system without major problems and it shows as Playback device in Windows: "Bose LS". So far, so good.

The problem is that Windows shows it as Stereo. When I had my previous home cinema system (not Bose), I could go to the Windows sound settings (Sound Control Panel) and configure the speakers so that they are not just Stereo but 5.1 (or any other configuration that my AV receiver could manage). However, with Bose, although Windows does let me choose all sort of configurations too (stereo, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, etc.), no matter what I select besides stereo, Windows does not play any sound. Then I run "Troubleshooting sound problems" and it basically sets it back to Stereo.

Playing a 5.1 video from Windows seems to work ok, at least sound is coming from all 5.1 speakers, but I can't tell if it's correct as Windows seems to be sending the audio to Bose LS in Stereo mode.

For the record, I am using the latest version of Windows 10 (1809) and the latest Bose fw version too.

So, am I doing something wrong? Why Windows will not accept any other sound configuration than Stereo?

Thank you,

Ivan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Author Accepted Answer selected by ivanrdg

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: Problem with LifeStyle 650 and Windows 10 sound settings

@Joel_D wrote:

Hello Ivan,

Can you try connecting your laptop directly to the TV with HDMI and see what audio configurations you can get to work this way?

Let us know what the results are.

As for your previous receiver, this could have been transcoding a 2.0 signal to 5.1. If a computer doesn't have a built-in Dolby encoder, it will not be able to encode a 5.1 signal. 

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hello, I tried replacing the HDMI cable, apparently there was a problem with the old one and Bose, that was not happening before. 

Anyway, my problem is solved:

- Windows sound settings can be set to 5.1 and all sounds are OK

- Stereo movies and internet content is encoded to 5.1 (or whatever Bose LS does, but there's sound out of the 5 speakers), like with my previous receiver

- No more intermitent micro cuts in the sound

All cleared out, at least for now :-)

Thanks,

Ivan.

7 REPLIES 7

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to see this is happening, but I would like to help.

Can you let me know the make and model of your computer? If it's a custom build, can you let me know what graphics card is in it?

Also, what type of HDMI cable are you using? What source are you trying to play video from on your computer?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Noisy Narrator

Sometimes it seems like when the moderators don't know the answer, they just ask a bunch of questions.  I hope that is not the case, but most customer questions are answered with a series of questions and never an actual answer.

Audible Advocate

Hello Joel,

The computer I'm using is a Lenovo T450s:

• Processor: 2.3GHz Intel Core i5-5300U (dual-core, 3MB cache, up to 2.7GHz with Turbo Boost)
  • Graphics: Intel HD 5500
  • Memory: 12GB RAM (DDR3L, 1,600Mhz)
  • Storage: 1TB SSD

The HDMI is 2.0 (I tried using a different cable, same result).

Now, my discoveries about the sources:

• if I set Windows to Stereo: I can hear Windows sounds and I can play movies which are encoded as Stereo. This applies also to internet content (Youtube, etc., I tried several sources)
  • if I set Windows to 5.1: I cannot hear Windows sounds and I can only play movies which are enconded as 5.1. A movie enconded as Stereo will not play any sound. This also applies to internet content (Youtube, etc.)

I really hope I am doing something wrong here, or the conclusions are that Windows cannot play system sounds in 5.1 mode, and I need to manually configure the output mode in Windows everytime I want to play one type of video or another. All this obviously does not make any sense.

Now, I also need to report that every few minutes there is a small cut, a drop down of the sound, which lasts less than a second and then it comes back. This happens watching local movies or content from the internet (Youtube, etc.). These cuts happen on all 5 speakers and the bass module. I have verified all cables are properly plugged in.

I have seen other threads about these random cuts. I have just purchased LS650 two days ago, if this is not solved immediately I will simple return the whole thing... too many issues for a 3 year old system.

And of course, I have used the very same hardware (PC, cables, etc.) with my old sound system and it worked perfectly. It didn't look so nice and the sound wasn't Bose, but all worked impecably.

Looking forward to hearing from you with a clear direction towards resolving these problems.

Thanks,

Ivan.

Audible Advocate

Thanks for your input. I've seen many threads with many issues, honestly I'm very surprised to see that a high end product of a high end brand has so many known problems without solution.

I'll give it a chance for a couple of days more, otherwise the system goes back to the shop on Saturday morning and I get my money back.

Thx,

i

Hello Ivan,

Can you try connecting your laptop directly to the TV with HDMI and see what audio configurations you can get to work this way?

As for your previous receiver, this could have been transcoding a 2.0 signal to 5.1. If a computer doesn't have a built-in Dolby encoder, it will not be able to encode a 5.1 signal. 

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Audible Advocate

@Joel_D wrote:

Hello Ivan,

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hello, I tried replacing the HDMI cable, apparently there was a problem with the old one and Bose, that was not happening before. 

Anyway, my problem is solved:

- Windows sound settings can be set to 5.1 and all sounds are OK

- Stereo movies and internet content is encoded to 5.1 (or whatever Bose LS does, but there's sound out of the 5 speakers), like with my previous receiver

- No more intermitent micro cuts in the sound

All cleared out, at least for now :-)

Thanks,

Ivan.

Community Manager

Hi Ivan,

That's great to hear!  Definitely let us know if you have any other questions!

Warm Regards,

Tony A