tpary
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 2, 2017

Re: QC 30 - Poor sound quality

I've had this complaint from my callers as well, that the background/ambient noise is noticeable/annoying. 

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@tpary yes, in a very quiet environment, everything seems fine; but as soon as any background noise is introduced, things go downhill noticeably.  One call I made recently at home with a few appliances running in a nearby room (to be fair, my dishwasher and washing machine are quite noisy) made me sound to the other peron like I was underwater or worse--it was completely unusable and I had to switch back to using my phone directly without the QC30's.  Another call in a quiet office enviornment was great until I made some very small crinkling noises with a paper bag (a small to-go cookie bag from Starbucks) and it was apparently very loud to the person I was speaking with.  

Community Manager

Hi Mutnat,

Venturing an opinion based on my reading here and living with my QC30 and other Bose headphones with noise cancellation features.

<opinion>

The noise cancellation is so good it's very easy to be unaware of the noise in the vicinity when we are on a call. Bose has told us that there is no noise cancellation or volume control for the QC30 voice microphone. We can't share the relief from the sounds around us with people on the other end of a phone call. The result I get is similar to putting my phone on speakerphone.  I wouldn't do that in a noisy environment. 

If it's too noisy to put my phone on speakerphone, it's too noisy to use my QC30 for a call.  Maybe Bose can address this in the next version of the QC30.

About the crinkling noises... These kinds of sounds are in the frequency range that is both very difficult to eliminate with active noise cancelling - and - these are frequencies that help with speech intelligibility. As a result, it's tough to remove them and you wouldn't want to. Worse yet, sounds in these frequencies when heard in isolation can be very irritating

</opinion>

ST

Suga
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 3, 2017

I have a similar issue as well, where the callers are reporting my keyboard noises while I'm on a call with them. From what I see it looks like the mic has some serious issues in picking up noise around me. Is there anything that will improve the mic performance?

Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Suga it sounds like they are working on trying to fix this problem, at least according to @Tony_G's posting on this related thread:

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/QC35-Impossible-to-have-a-call-in-noisy-environmen...

The thread is about the QC35 but it's the same issue.  

TexSteve
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

When did Bose lose the technology for this?  I used to have a Bose Series 2 bluetooth headset (the battery finally died) that I bought specifically for its ability to filter out background noise while on a call.  It was marketed that way and was very good at it.  I just bought the QC 30 with the expectation that it could do at least as well as a 6 year old device.  No luck.  The QC 30 actually amplifies the background noise for the people I am talking with on a call.  It is much worse than simply using the phone's mic.  If this is "working as intended" then I will be returning it.  It does a great job of noise cancelling for me as the user, but if I can't use them for phone calls except in quiet rooms they are worthless.

thersites
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Mar 24, 2017

It's now 1.2.9.

N8
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 27, 2017

So what?
Read the release notes before stating nonexplaining posts.

https://community.bose.com/t5/Wireless-Headphones/Firmware-Update-Available-SoundSport-Wireless-Puls...

The issue has not been addressed.
Highlighted
Robertpetry
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Mar 14, 2017

Based on the release notes, the issue not addressed. And is not on the roadmap for the next release.

How is that possible? There is no more serious issue with the QC 30 than poor background noise cancellation to the other end on calls. Bose was very good at this with the QC 20. This fix should be PRIORITY ONE
Mutnat
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Feb 3, 2017

@Robertpetry I agree that this should be a top priority.  Unfortunately, it is likely to take a back seat for the forseeable future to the big ANC firmware issue being experienced by a number of QC35 owners with the newer firmware versions.  There's several threads here in the community if you want more info on it, but it sounds like that for at least some owners, it's rendering the ANC abilities of the QC35's virtually useless.  On top of that, the QC35's (and I think any units that feature the side-talk feature) seem to have this issue during calls.  Crazy stuff going on.