Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

QC35 & 2016 Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar Bluetooth connection interference

I recently purchased the QC35 headphones and am having significant Bluetooth connectivity issues while listening to music on a 2016 13" Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar. Both devices are updated with the latest software (QC35 = 1.3.2, MacOS = 10.12.5).

When pairing these two devices and listening to music, the longest I can go without dropped/static interruption is 10 minutes. In the worst case, it's happening every 60 seconds. I am using WIFI on the computer. The one constant I have noticed is that whenever the connection issues begin, if I look at my Bluetooth connection, there is a new device connected as "Broadcom Bluetooth Device" (see image below). If I do nothing, this will disappear on its own after several seconds, or, I can also disconnect it manually. Either way once the secondary Bluetooth connection is disabled the interference stops. Does anyone have any idea what's causing this "Broadcom Bluetooth Device" connection to interfere? Is it caused by the QC35 or something else?

Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 10.41.26 AM.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

Re: QC35 & 2016 Macbook Pro w/ Touchbar Bluetooth connection interference

Author Accepted Answer selected by dapearce

Thanks for the responses, after a little more time with the headset I feel confident it's not a QC35 issue, but rather interference from an unknown device. The issue is possibly confined to macOS Sierra. Two things point to this conclusion:

1. The interference is limited to specific areas in my office environment. I do not experience the issue at home or in certain areas of the office. I also do not experience it when connected to my iPhone 7.

2. More importantly, I've learned other individuals in the office experience the same issue with different Bluetooth devices, including wireless mice and keyboards. The one thing in common with other individuals is the issue appears limited to our Macbook Pro devices. Most of us have the Touchbar model, but not all of us. We do all have macOS Sierra, but, everyone here is on a Mac so I can't say for sure it's limited to that.

We have a lot of devices in the office, including monitor's, raspberry pi's, various Bluetooth peripherals, etc. I haven't been able to narrow down to a specific device yet. According to this Apple article it could be anything: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Hi dapearce,

Thank you for reaching out. We definitely want to help. For troubleshooting purposes, are you able to connect a different Bluetooth set to see if this is an every time occurrence? How is your QC35 working otherwise when paired to a phone or tablet?  

Please give us an update on your findings when you can.

Thank you,

Mohsin

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 22, 2017

Hey DAPearce, I had a similar problem with my mac / air . Might not be the same but, after resetting headphones, have you tried "Reset the Bluetooth module", it worked for me, might be worth trying. Hold Option(Alt) Shift then click on Bluetooth icon on top bar. That shows Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by dapearce

Thanks for the responses, after a little more time with the headset I feel confident it's not a QC35 issue, but rather interference from an unknown device. The issue is possibly confined to macOS Sierra. Two things point to this conclusion:

1. The interference is limited to specific areas in my office environment. I do not experience the issue at home or in certain areas of the office. I also do not experience it when connected to my iPhone 7.

2. More importantly, I've learned other individuals in the office experience the same issue with different Bluetooth devices, including wireless mice and keyboards. The one thing in common with other individuals is the issue appears limited to our Macbook Pro devices. Most of us have the Touchbar model, but not all of us. We do all have macOS Sierra, but, everyone here is on a Mac so I can't say for sure it's limited to that.

We have a lot of devices in the office, including monitor's, raspberry pi's, various Bluetooth peripherals, etc. I haven't been able to narrow down to a specific device yet. According to this Apple article it could be anything: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 21, 2017

@dapearce Did you figure out what device was causing the Broadcom Bluetooth Device to show up? We're seeing exactly the same issue at our office. Only the MacBooks are affected; iPhones and other devices seem to have no issue with Bluetooth.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 23, 2017

@ekmorning unfortunately no, we've all but given up on finding the source. We have Dell monitors, LG monitors, raspberry pi's, wifi extenders, sonos, etc. We've tried some debugging but no luck and it's not a big enough issue to get the whole office to turn everything off. Let me know if you figure anything out!

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2017

Awesome! That Hold Shift Debug solved my problem! Thx!