bfricka
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

QC35 only hearing microphone on macOS

From what I can tell this only occurs connecting to macOS (10.12.3)

Over the past few weeks, when turning on my QC35 and pairing, a strange issue has arisen and now my headphones do not function. It started with a brief beep (similar to the max volume beep), followed by hearing only the sound coming through the microphone. After several seconds, the normal sounds would connect and everything would seem normal. Today, however, everything stopped working. The beep occurs, the micropohone sound starts coming in, but it never recovers. Here's where I'm at:

- Battery is full

- I've cleared the pairing list (which actually didn't work the way it was supposed to, until I followed a suggestion to do this while plugged in to USB)

- I've updated the device to the latest firmware (1.2.10)

Nothing is helping. I haven't found a way to perform a factory reset, so I'm currently stuck with defective headphones.

Any help appreciated,

-Brian

5 REPLIES 5
Mohsin_S
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 15, 2016

Re: QC35 only hearing microphone on macOS

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the great post. You've mentioned that this only occurs when connecting to macOS and otherwise it works fine with smartphones and tablets? It can be difficult to pair with computers. Most users find success with mobile devices because of their consistency and more unified platform. 

We see that you have done most of the troubleshooting yourself. Can you try rebooting the headset and try re-pairing it the Mac? 

Steps for a headset reboot:

1. Turn the headset off and wait for 30 seconds.
  2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).
  3. Unplug USB cord from headset and wait 1 minute.
  4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly.

Let us know with an update.

Mohsin

ST - Hearphones
Community Manager - Retired
Registered since

Dec 23, 2016

Edit: It looks like Mohsin and I both started to reply at the same time.

Mohsin is faster.

Hi Brian,

To eliminate the computer as the culprit, have you tried pairing and connecting to a different device, eg a phone or tablet?

Since you mentioned it, there's no factory reset, but you can reboot it.

QC35 Reboot

1. Turn the headset off and wait for at least 30 seconds.

2. Plug the headset into a USB power supply via USB cord and wait at least 5 seconds. (Power supply needs to be plugged into the wall with power on).

3. Unplug USB cord from the headset and wait at least 1 minute.

4. Turn on the headset and test if the headset works properly

ST

bfricka
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

I tried doing the reboot steps, and this did not fix the issue.

For Mac, I did discover something that fixes the problem, but it's still annoying:

- Go to System Preferences > Sounds

- Select "Input" tab

- Change input device from Bose headphones to "Internal Mic"

After a few seconds the headphones pop out of the super-loud mic mode, and start performing normally. Two things make this particularly frustrating:

1. I've been using these headphones on multiple Mac machines (as well as PC, phone, tablet, etc) for months without issue. It's frustrating that this is a newly developed problem. It did not suddenly appear after a firmware update or anything, so I can only conclude that there is either an issue w/ how the headphones are handling mic input or it's caused from a new software issue introduced recently in macOS.

2. This setting in the "Input" tab is not sticky. It resets the setting to default to Bose as input every time they are connected, which means I have to manually toggle the input every time as well.

A coworker has a pair of these as well, and we're running the same version of macOS (10.12.3), and he doesn't experience this. Perhaps I'll ask to borrow his to see if this issue can be triggered connecting with his headphones to my machine. If so, I think it's safe to say there is something wrong w/ my machine, and if not, it seems like pretty good evidence that something is wrong w/ my headphones.

Thanks

valentina
Participant
Registered since

Sep 14, 2017

I'm experiencing the same issue with Mac OSX 10.11.6.

I've tried all solution suggested above, even selecting a different input for microphone, but the microphone sound is still on.

bfricka
Participant
Registered since

Mar 6, 2017

@valentina Do you Skype by any chance? I found later that I could alleviate this by changing the microphone in Skype (or disabling, I can't remember which).

-Brian